Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Worsening dust, anyone?

Hi! Fairly new user, had the camera since May. Not used too much, But noticed a few weeks ago that there have been tiny specks of dust. I tried to clean it myself, to no avail. I then took it to a place in Culver city, LA, where I am on holiday, and which was the primary purpose of buying the camera in the first place!

It seemed fixed for a few days, but the dust returned, and seems to be getting worse. The other day I saw two specks again, now it is about 5. I had bought the eclipse liquid and swabs, and cleaned it with a blower also. I put the aperture to 22 and have compared the various shots. I only have the one lens so it is not as if I have been opening it and leaving it around, which I wouldn't do anyway.

Since I am still in LA and won't return to the UK till midweek, I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems? Pentax have been helpful, asking me to return it where they will look at it under warranty, and gone as far to suggest there may be a fault with the sensor. Brilliant camera otherwise, and once fixed, plan on buying more lenses etc. Hopefully this has not put me off pentax!

Cheers

09-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Odd that you're acquiring dust particles so quickly. I don't know what could be causing that, but until you get home, I suggest shooting at larger apertures (as much as you are able) as this will tend to "hide" the spots. Once home, you can send it somewhere for servicing.
09-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

If your one lens is a zoom, it's possible dust could be getting in as you work the zoom back and forth; but, I would think that would only be noticeable in a truly dusty environment.
09-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with dust is that the problem has diminished as the sensor coating and dust removal systems have improved over the years. My *istD has to be cleaned often (wet clean by a repair shop). My K10D just needs cleaning with a good dust blower (Giotto's Rocket Blower) from time to time, and my K-7 and K-5 haven't needed any cleaning whatsoever, it appears that the dust removal system takes care of things.

BTW, I have dust removal activate automatically on each power on (except for the *istD which doesn't have DR).

09-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys - I have the automatic dust removal on, and the lens has always been protected. The only time I have had it apart from the body is when I was attaching it when I first bought it, and when it was being cleaned. When I did try cleaning it, it was in the bathroom, as far from dust as I could manage. I always seemed to move the dust, but then more would show.

I was just curious if I was the only one having problems - especially after having it cleaned professionally. I can't wait to find out what is causing the problem when I get back home!
09-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First times I changed my lens I had the same problem. Almost each time the sensor showed dust specs. But now i have no problems. It seems that the use of the camera has "heated" the sensor.
09-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #7

Hi
I had the same problem after only 3 weeks the repair centre (local to where I live ) examined it told me the E dial was faulty replaced the dial cleaned the camera ( no charge) sent it back with awfull FF problems.I have had some good results with mine but not consistant this has led me to a lack of faith with this camera .Hope you do better.

09-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I seem to attract oodles and oodles and oodles and oodles and oodles and oodles and oodles of dust specks in my K-7, but then I do change lenses all the time. Best remedy I've found is use visibledust swabs and vdust plus, they always get my sensor and focusing screen nice and sparkly.
09-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #9

Here is my dust. Getting worse and worse although I didn't take the lens off. Becoming pretty frustrated. Feel like I'm gonna punch the camera. Oh well.

This was F32 I think against a blue wall. There are at least 20 ugly dots, and about 5 of them are visible and annoying even at F3.5. I don't even shoot at more closed apertures because of that. My landscape job is becoming a nightmare...

Last edited by Andrei87; 09-14-2011 at 05:19 PM.