Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #1

12.4mp vs 14.2mp, advice needed.

Hi all,

New to the boards. After a lengthy absence I've decided to get back into photography as a hobby. I've been refamiliarizing/retraining myself on my ME Super.

I would like to add a digital camera to what I have and I think that the k-r fits the bill. Excellent reviews, great features including the use of the older lenses that I have and priced right.

The last hurdle for me to get over is the megepixels. At what point does the difference between the 12.4mp of the k-r and the 14.2mp of say the Nikon D3100 become noticable or a factor?

09-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It's a very small difference -- remember if you have 14% more pixels (as in this case), the height and width of the image in pixels is only 7% more. In any case the blur from most lenses will be bigger than the pixels.

Looking at the sensor, more relevant would be differences in dynamic range, noise and colour depth:

Click here to the see the DxOMark comparison.
09-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You wouldn't notice such a small difference. You would, however, see a clear resolution increase with 12.4/14.2mp vs 21mp or 24pm (Canon 5D, Nikon D3x). Of course, whenever you're looking to buy a new camera, there are lots of factors to consider, such as size, high-iso performance, price, buffer, framerate, and the list goes on.

If you're looking to get your first DSLR, and you already have Pentax lenses, then the K-r is your best bet

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Evening,

The real difference as Russell indicated is pretty small. To try to put things in perspective from a slightly different viewpoint, 5 years ago I was using a 6MP Pentax K100 - its a really nice little camera (I still have it). If you were to double the number of pixels in both the horizontal and vertical axis of the sensor, you would essentially be multiplying the number of pixels on the sensor by a factor of 4.

So it would be 6MP x 4 = 24MP and that is just the capability that Sony came out with in their new sensor. It has not been received too well on this board for a number of reasons - namely the image quality of the test images that Sony has shown has not been that good.

The mega pixel wars really do nothing - its all marketing. A good 12MP sensor, that has excellent image quality, good resolution and low noise will provide the better images - and in the end, that is what photography is all about. The Kr is a good improvement on the Kx body, and folks have been pretty happy with it here.

09-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In the 10-12mpx, 12-14mpx, 14-16mpx ranges, the difference may be less real than perceptual / psychological. With more megapickles, you *feel* like you're getting more, and you may feel less impelled to 'upgrade' cameras anytime soon. Fewer megapickles may leave you feeling like you're just getting by for now. If you think you may be getting a more powerful camera in the next few years, then it doesn't matter so much. If you want to stick with one for awhile, then compromising can be dangerous.

I base this on my research before buying my K20D about 3 years ago. I read too many user complaints (of other brands) about how limited they felt with their CostCo camera kits, how anxious they were to move up to something better. I decided I wanted to START with something better, that I could afford.

So, think about time, and resources, and how much you're willing to spend to be happy, and for how long.
09-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back. In my opinion some very good cameras in the past were murdered by getting into the megapixel race. To me a newer camera with fewer pixels than the competition probably means a much better image. I think the middle range canon cameras have stood still for many years as any improvement in imaging technology has only gone into taking care of the extra pixels.

My opinion is that the lower end of the DSLR market canon and nikon 75% of the time is treating their customers as mugs. There have been some good ones at the low end (excluding the lens which is usually good at keeping dust out) but I think buyers need to be careful.

On top of that it can be difficult to build your kit up from the low end of Canon and Nikon.

The biggest risk with Pentax is if they were to go out of business. But then I am risking a hell of a lot.
09-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The megapixels matter when printing.
There's a rule of thumb saying that 5mp is enough for an A4 print and 10mp is enough for an A3 print.
So you should ask yourself how large you want to print. If you'are shooting for posters and billboards,
you will want every pixel you can get. But then you wouldn't be looking at entry level DSLRs in the first
place.

I've even made an A3 print from a 6mp file. It came out great.

The megapixels are irrelevant for screen viewing and online photosharing. 1mp will suffice for that purpose.

Don't fret over the megapixels. 12 or 14, it doesn't matter.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
09-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #8

Nikon D3100 Review by Thom Hogan

check this review before thinking about D3100. In Nikon world this is probably much less admired camera. Sensor is not as good as 12M sensor Pentax Kr or Nikon 5xxx series is using. If you want to go Nikon way, D5100 would be much better choice. Else Kr would be better option if you just compare the sensors. If you compare AF and lenses then its different thing altogether.

09-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
The megapixels matter when printing.
There's a rule of thumb saying that 5mp is enough for an A4 print and 10mp is enough for an A3 print.
So you should ask yourself how large you want to print. If you'are shooting for posters and billboards,
you will want every pixel you can get. But then you wouldn't be looking at entry level DSLRs in the first
place.

I've even made an A3 print from a 6mp file. It came out great.

The megapixels are irrelevant for screen viewing and online photosharing. 1mp will suffice for that purpose.

Don't fret over the megapixels. 12 or 14, it doesn't matter.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
Thanks Anders. Excellent point and the one thing I did not add to my original post. An A3 print is roughly 12 inches by 17 inches and at this point I'm not envisioning myself printing out anything bigger than that. Sounds like the 12.4mp would be more than sufficient for that size print.
09-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your input. Certainly some good info and ideas provided which is why I asked here. So to summarize it sounds like for my intended use, screen viewing, photo sharing and some A3 or so size prints, I'm not going to see a difference. And it seems that the k-r sensor stacks up pretty well against the D3100 sensor.
The D3100 seems like a prerfectly capable camera but the k-r seems to have some of the features I'm attracted to such as in camera IS and AF as well as the ability to use the older lenses. And folks here seem to be pretty happy with the k-r and its predecessor the k-x.
09-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #11

very small difference. forget about megapixels -unless one's trying to print it large size- and start shooting. have a nice capturing.