Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I see. Thanks for the explanation. The vast majority of the time I shoot at a fixed ISO anyway, so I don't think I'd get much out of it. Still, it's good to have a sense of why it exists.

09-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
I shot concerts at a summer stage this year. K-r really shines at events with mixed light. AF performed excellent and beyond all criticism. The main feature of K-r over the K-x (visible AF points in the VF) is a must at such events. But most of all the high ISO still surprises me.

Cheers,
D
Draga's black and white Jazz in the City set is very nice, with this excellent shot in particular showing selective focus (and good exposure) in relatively low light conditions with moving subjects.

I'm also looking at a new Pentax K-r this convinces me of its AF capabilities.
09-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
I recently purchased the K-r and love it. Low light? Brilliant. I rarely shoot below 1600 ISO. Sometimes even 3200. Not too shabby at all. And that's with a kit lens. Autofocus? Very good. No complaints what so ever...
09-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cenoxo Quote
Draga's black and white Jazz in the City set is very nice, with this excellent shot in particular showing selective focus (and good exposure) in relatively low light conditions with moving subjects.

I'm also looking at a new Pentax K-r — this convinces me of its AF capabilities.

I hate to do this, but that series tells me nothing at all about the K-R's AF capabilities.
The largest size I can see is 680 x 1024. At that resolution, anything will look good.

(Disclaimer: I mean no offense to you by this post. I'm just trying to point out that most of his images are very small.)

09-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zorak Quote
Don't be scared,come over from the dark side!! In all seriousness,i came over to pentax.I was a canon user but as i couldn't justify the cost of any decent canon lenses i waited till i got a great deal on a KR.I haven't experience any issues other than the great preformance and nice ergonomics that the KR is noted for.Its also great to be able to use practicaly any pentax mount lens.barring pentax going out of business ( not likely) i will stick with pentax as they strive to make a quality product that is more affordable than the competition.This might help.Go on EBAY or to any pawn shop and see how many older lenses are available for the K mount.Want a fisheye or macro? I can't justify $1000 for a lens i will use only on occasion,but i can justify $100 or less.

This is another thing I like about Pentax. Old MF lenses greatly interest me, and to have them stabilized right out of the gate is awesome.
09-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
Doing a quick search by typing 'K-r front focus' in the search function of
this forum reveals numerous discussions over the last year about the issue.
There seems to be more than just a 'handfull' of members here who have experienced some problems.

As I said, it may not be all K-r which have this problem (some owners who never use it under these
conditions will never know theirs do it or, if they can't compare their K-r's focus to another camera body etc.).
Like you said, how many owners will ever bother to pursue this under warranty repair (losing use of their new camera
for an unknown timespan) or will they just 'live with it' since they don't do much low-light/artificial light photography at all.

The K-r model was the replacement to the older K-x,
usually a newer model also means an 'improved' one but in this case
the fancy illuminated viewfinder dots and the pretty weak AF-assist beam all sounded good
on paper but to me it's actual *performance is 'at best' slightly below-par of the older K-x.

Michel

*performance to me meaning: AF accuracy & high ISO sensitivity
Wow. How unfortunate. I am really starting to dislike how big of a risk this sounds like. I frequent Canon Message Boards as well, and I have never read anywhere NEAR the amount of hardware malfunction stories I have just amassed by doing a quick search with the terms given above. If *that* isn't a sign of a problem, I don't know what is.

Ouch. As much as I love this camera on paper, it seems I may just have to pass. I can't afford missed shots in unpredictable light. (The other issues, I am considering pretty much null and void. They sound quite minor anyway.)

Sorry Pentax. I sincerely like a lot of your ideas... (In-body stabilization, wide-spread MF lens support, super-competative pricing, rugged kit lenses that don't turn as they focus, AF microadjustments and multiple cross point sensors in sub-$1000 bodies, weather-sealing options, great burst rates, etc etc.. )

However, at the end of the day, quality control should never be a question mark. The fact that there is even a debate about this is proof enough for me that I am better off "staying with the pack," as much as I would prefer not to.

Last edited by JustShane; 09-11-2011 at 07:15 PM.
09-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #37
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I haven't seen anyone complain about this issue with their new K-r in months. Just the opposite, there are a few more every week posting that it's a non-issue (and that means a much greater number that never post at all, who don't have a problem). It wouldn't surprise me if Pentax has quietly fixed this in the more recent copies, IF it was ever as distinct a design flaw as a few people have made it out to be.

Do what you feel is right, of course, but it seems a shame to let a couple scaremongers put you off the brand. mlatour, if his case is as bad as he says, has still handled this with a lot of bitterness, posting in every bloody thread about the K-r how horrible it is. It's bullshit. Sorry, but it is. There are always a few people discontented with any product, and there are always a few lemons with any device of this complexity. The overwhelming consensus is that it's a great camera for its price point, and my experience has been exactly that.

Your third option would be to look at the K-7 or K-5. Neither of these are afflicted with this reputation for ff, and they're also great cameras.
09-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #38

Get this clear Philoslothical, I never said 'no Pentax' to him...

I did get a lemon, perhaps the absolute worst camera off the assembly line.
Very bitter and dissapointed yes, but I truly hope that when my K-r returns from
warranty service that it's as good as others here find it to be, an actually improved
version of the K-x as it was intended by Pentax and users like me expected it to be.

As I mentionned in other posts to JustShane, for his intented use the K-5 would likely be
better suited to give him accurate, repeatable and consistent AF results in a variable lighting environment.
(rock concerts, these are not studio shots that he can go back and re-do)

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 09-11-2011 at 08:34 PM.
09-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #39

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cenoxo Quote

I'm also looking at a new Pentax K-r this convinces me of its AF capabilities.
Thanks for your comment. Shooting concerts needs a little practice and a decent lens.

The particular shot you liked was done with DA70 which was the optimal lens for that location.
09-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
Doing a quick search by typing 'K-r front focus' in the search function of
this forum reveals numerous discussions over the last year about the issue.
There seems to be more than just a 'handfull' of members here who have experienced some problems.
even if it's a hundred people, compared to the number of K-r owner worldwide, it's still very low, i guess. I hope ?

Anyway, we should stop here, because it seems that we won't be able to agree on any common statement.
09-13-2011, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

You see a lot of "problem" threads because it makes no sense to create a thread called "My K-r doesnt have problems", and list everything that works on the camera.
Usually, when someone search for a forum is because they have problems, and want help.