Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone else have problems with pop-up flash not firing?

I had a shoot over the weekend where I was trying to get the pop-up flash to trigger an optical slave, but noticed it was not firing at all. My settings were all on manual flash and I could see the lightning icon in the viewfinder. For a sanity check, I tried triggering in Tv, Av, and even AutoPicture modes, but to no avail. I figured at the very least, AutoPicture used in a dim to almost dark setting would trigger the flash. Anyhow, since I mostly use radio triggers, I never noticed the problem until yesterday, so I have no idea how long the problem's been around. Any other K-r owners experienced anything similar? Or does anybody have other suggestions to test the flash? If not, it looks like the K-r will be making it's second trip back to CRIS (first time was for the e-dial issue), which is disappointing to say the least

09-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Put your camera in M mode and try it again.

Are the flashes firing but not showing in the pictures, or are they not firing at all?
09-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Really dumb question, but were you wearing a hat? Flash won't fire unless its raised all the way. Alternatively, could you have a bit of crud on the camera preventing the flash from extending all the way?
09-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope, wasn't wearing a hat and pop-up flash was extended all the way. Here's a couple of photos showing my settings in Manual mode. Flash isn't firing at all. Initially I was thinking maybe my Vivitar 285hv had fried something, but the hotshoe works fine and has nothing to do with the pop-up.

Attached Images

09-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My flash didnīt fire all the times. But my problem was that a I push it just a bit when I put my eye on the viewfinder. It looks like a joke, but it was real.
09-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #6

Mine gave up the ghost after one week. Took it back and the camera plus the lens were replaced on the spot. No probs since...
09-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #7

I had this problem when using manual focus lenses with the mf/af switch in the af position (doh)
As soon as I switched it to mf it worked fine
09-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, everything's on AF and I don't have any MF lenses, so it looks like the camera's going back to CRIS at this point. It hasn't bothered bugged me since I don't ever use the pop-up flash, but I'd like to have it functional if it's ever needed.