Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 11:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Reminisce on my favourite camera

Not very good with words, but here's what i think of the K-r and Pentax.

I was a noob when i bought my very first DSLR (K-r) on Feb 2011.
I have a used K1000 tho, thus my username. Haha

Was actually very indecisive between a D3100 and K-r. Checked with a few shops regarding the prices of both cameras and boy i was shocked.
The D3100 was actually cheaper than the K-r. I almost "jump-ship" to Nikon.
But thinking about the old lenses that i had with my K1000, it would be such a waste to "restart" buying new expensive N lenses.
I was a student then. So i decided to go along with Pentax!

After i bought the K-r, friends/colleagues saw the camera and goes "Wow, why did you not buy C/N brands? Pentax? What is that?" you know, that kinda thing.
Luckily it didn't bring me down as i saw on this very forum, the amount of lenses available for my K-r and the cheap lenses that i could afford (compared to some brands)

So i started lending my K-r to friends/colleagues for them to try. Some were, i would say, not very friendly. Nit picking on pentax.
(This K-r had the e-dial issue, but was resolved within a few weeks)
There were of course some who were amazed by how the K-r works under natural sunlight.
As for artificial lightings, i think K-r handled rather well.
I myself was amazed. Not sure if anyone has encountered this, but some of my photos that were taken after the sun has set. The image that i got on my K-r was like the surrounding is still very bright. (Will post pictures later on)

Many a times there would be compliments about what a great little camera it has been.
After slighty more than 7 months of usage, I am still using it and my friends are still borrowing from me. Has never regretted getting a K-r.

I am proud of my K-r, and most importantly proud to be part of the Pentax family!

09-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done on you to be strong-minded and not bullied by the C/N users.

I fully support your thoughts to stay with Pentax for the lenses. This is a great asset, not just for lower costs, but also because there are great vintage Pentax lenses with ouistanding IQ like the FA Ltd and FA* series.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
09-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for a great post. And good for you, we can stand up and be proud of our Pentax cameras.
09-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #4

It seems funny to me how much amateur photographers pay attention to the label on their equipment. When a pro-photographer and a friend of mine some years ago bought his first Olympus E camera nobody made any fuss about it. Actually it was hardly noticed, only by some tech geek assistant maybe. It worked for him and that was the deal.

When I bougt my Pentax dSLR it was with a reason: I wanted something different than Canon/Nikon had. My focus was on the Limited Series primes: no other manufacturer cares about prime shooters as much as Pentax. I enjoy my Pentax choice very much, especially when I meet fellow photographers on a concert with their clunky C/N gear.

09-13-2011, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

In the 3.4 years since I bought my K20D, I've been asked just twice about the camera. Both times were pros who saw it from a distance and wanted details -- and then said, nice camera. Shooters on the streets just don't notice. And I have no friends to quiz|torment me.

So nobody asks me, Why Pentax? My bro-in-law shoots at pro level with Sony (I forget which model) and we admire each others' shots but don't chatter about gear much. The gear is rather irrelevant. Position and light matter much more. And PP. We both prefer PaintShopPro. That's what we talk about -- PP tricks.

ObTopic: Are many fine cameras in existence, with their own strengths and weakness, and capable of capturing good images. IMHO Pentax puts together a more appealing package than the competition.

EDIT: Wow, I got a LIKE for this! No explanation, but I suspect it's about "The gear is rather irrelevant. Position and light matter much more. And PP." Like I said, I haven't discussed the why's of gear with people. I think that if I was asked, "Why Pentax?", I'd say it's because it suits me. Pressed further about gear, I'd reply, "Does it matter?"

Because really really really, the gear is less important than how it's used. The K20D is my first dSLR but I've used a zillion cameras (film and electronic) over the decades and they're all good tools, even the focking gear-drive Kodak 35 RF that I hate. (Well, the Graflex 9x12 press cam was no joy.) My faves have been Olympus (Pen-FT and XA and 770-SW) and Canon (Demi-EE17 and Dial-35 and SS80u) and Sony (DSC-P10 and -V1 and -P20) and the K20D. But even crappy gear is useful if used right. That's the tricky part: using it right. Have fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 09-13-2011 at 02:47 AM.
09-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #6

Original Poster

this was the picture i was talking about. I took this at around 1+AM. But the sky behind looks... bright.
sorry about the blur.
09-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I love this post! I have a similar story and I love how my friends with nikons and cannons bashed my Pentax (saying: I've never heard of that brand in my life, and that it must be a sucky camera) but when we go on shoots, my picture quality is a lot better than theirs, and they say it's just luck... I say nope it's my Pentax k-r... Extremely happy I chose this camera!

09-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

dSLR bodies come and go, but what you're buying into is the lens mount/system. Besides Pentax, which manufacturer can claim their legacy lens would work even in the most recent camera ? The problems of K-r and K-5 will just be memories in a few years, but I plan to use my Ltd lenses for a very long time !