Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

K1000 Lens for Kr

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I've read that my old K1000 lens are supposed to fit to a new Pentax Kr dSLR.
I'm very interested with the Kr but the dealer tells me that the Kr doesn't have an exposure meter built-in.
So, I'm afraid that my K1000 lens would be useless.

What do you think?
Is there a way to use my old lens and manage to set the correct light exposure with a Kr ?
Thanks!
Nice forum!

09-13-2011, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r doesn't have an exposure meter?!? That's terrible advice. What dSLR doesn't have an exposure meter?
Let me reassure you that the K-r is a highly sophisticated entry-level camera, and yes it even has an exposure meter!
Use your manual lenses with confidence, but if they are M lenses, follow the instructions in the manual for their effective use.
09-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, thats a great dealer...
I bet he knows everything about cameras
09-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #4

I just bought a K-r about a month ago and have had no problems using my K-1000 lenses with the new body.

09-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by S3rgio Quote
..... but the dealer tells me that the Kr doesn't have an exposure meter built-in.
The dealer is wrong and doesn't understand how these things work. I wouldn't rely on much of his/her other assertions.
09-13-2011, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The dealer is an idiot or/and a liar, doesn't much matter which -- ignore him.
The Kr meters ANY lens you put on it, unlike some of the competition.
The Kr stabilizes ANY lens you put on it, unlike most competitors.
The Kr is famed for having one of the best sensors around.
Click the CAMERAS tab atop this page to see a review.
09-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although I don't usually participate in this kind of threads, now I really feel the need to. Obviously the dealer got the information wrong. it is Nikon entry level cameras that do not meter with old lenses (and some of them are dangerous to mount too). Pentax not only allows for these to be used, but the camera also has a dedicated (green) button for metering in M (manual) mode, which I believe is especially for these lenses. There's just two settings you have to do in the menu (takes 20 seconds), then you're free to enjoy not having to spend money on film again!

09-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks guys!
That was a quick response and very clear.
I'm happy to know that he Kr stabilizes any lens!
Ash, when your taking about M lenses, you mean Manual lenses? Yes, my lens are manual lens.
I also have an old Vivitar flash synchronized at 1/60 secs. Do you think it will fit with the Kr?

Again, thanks very much for your responses.
I was interested with the Nikon D5100, but I guess the Pentax Kr will be my birthday gift ;-))
09-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ash, when your taking about M lenses, you mean Manual lenses? Yes, my lens are manual lens.
Asahi-Pentax made numerous manual-focus lenses in a number of lines or series. All except the screwmounts have the PK bayonet mount. These include:

* Takumar -- mostly superb M42 screwmount
* Takumar Bayonet -- a budget line of M-series
* K (actually nameless) -- mechnical aperture
* M-series -- also mechanical-only aperture
* A-series -- with electrical contacts for aperture automation

The K and M lenses have only a mechanical aperture linkage. These can be stopped-down on our dSLRs by using the Green button in M(anual) mode. These contrast with the A-series, where the aperture can be controlled from the camera. The newer Pentax F- and FA- and DA-series are all autofocus, with electric aperture automation. All A, F, and FA lenses have an A position on the aperture ring. The DA lenses lack an aperture ring; the iris is controlled solely from the camera.

QuoteQuote:
I also have an old Vivitar flash synchronized at 1/60 secs. Do you think it will fit with the Kr?
Google the flash's model number (or see its user manual) and check the specs for the trigger voltage. Many film-era flashes generate a high voltage that will FRY YOUR CAMERA'S ELECTRONICS!! I *never* put an old flash on a digital camera! I use them off-camera instead, with slave triggers. Don't brick the camera!! [brick = break, turn it into a brick, etc]

QuoteQuote:
I was interested with the Nikon D5100, but I guess the Pentax Kr will be my birthday gift ;-))
Happy birthday!

Last edited by RioRico; 09-13-2011 at 06:44 PM.
09-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Google the flash's model number (or see its user manual) and check the specs for the trigger voltage. Many film-era flashes generate a high voltage that will FRY YOUR CAMERA'S ELECTRONICS!! I *never* put an old flash on a digital camera! I use them off-camera instead, with slave triggers. Don't brick the camera!! [brick = break, turn it into a brick, etc]
I'm glad to read this before I try it on a new camera!
Thanks for the advise.
09-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out pics in the K Club

I think you'll find lots of pics from K-x / K-r Cameras using K1000 era lenses.
09-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AS for the flash my old Pentax flashes have the correct trigger voltage to be used with the new Pentax Digital cameras, many old flashes can be used, check the trigger voltage of your Vivitar flash in the chart below.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

I also use lenses from my ME Super (uses same lenses as K1000) on my Kr,

Hans
09-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
I've check my Vivitar 2800 flash. It produces about 160 volts.
I guess it's much to high for a Pentax Kr ?
Is there any way to use it with the Kr ?

Last edited by S3rgio; 02-08-2012 at 06:06 PM.
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Remote slave trigger? I don't know much about this. I do know that the limit for the K-r is supposed to be 16 volts, and better to err on the safe side of that. 160 volts would probably fry your camera, DO NOT try it.
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've check my Vivitar 2800 flash. It produces about 160 volts.
I guess it's much to high for a Pentax Kr ?
Is there any way to use it with the Kr ?
Much too high. Yes, remote slave triggers are the way to go. Cheap little one-inch cubes are maybe ten bucks on eBay. Put the cube on a tripod or camera bracket or whatever. Mount the flash on it. Raise your on-camera flash. When you snap the shutter, the on-camera flash triggers the remote flash. No fried electronics. No bricked camera. Glorioski!