Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Pentax K-r Software - issue !

In Manual at page 298, zone 4 is defined as File Display Pane. I can not put any picture selected from bottom tumb area, to that area 4 so I can not use the software at all. If I doubleclik the picture the program is not responding anymore. Called Pentax any told me that they do not support the software and I was not able to get in touch with SilkyPix ! Any idea how to solve this issue. Software is brand new, computer also (i5/8 GB RAM, WIN 7)

09-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

maybe you could try to use some other software for editing for now?

Picasa is good and free, but fairly basic, and likely not what you need if you are shooting RAW, but there are many other free ones that could work.
09-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, but I paid for it ! I reinstalled the software and nothing. Is someone who can offer support for it ? What is incredible is that Pentax doesn't offer support for what I bought. Is like buing a car and when you go to delar he sent you to a third supplier hwo made the failed part
09-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

Did you get the last update to pdcu, here?
Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

09-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
No, maybe this will solve the problem. I bought it in June and installed software only now.
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ionelz Quote
In Manual at page 298, zone 4 is defined as File Display Pane. I can not put any picture selected from bottom tumb area, to that area 4 so I can not use the software at all. If I doubleclik the picture the program is not responding anymore. Called Pentax any told me that they do not support the software and I was not able to get in touch with SilkyPix ! Any idea how to solve this issue. Software is brand new, computer also (i5/8 GB RAM, WIN 7)
Pentax DCU is quirky at the beginning but as good as any software to start with. I suppose you are shooting RAW? (If you are shooting JPG look for a FastStone Image Browser.)

The good thing about DCU (and the main reason why I give it a shot) is the high quality image conversion it does. The way to come to the final result with DCU is not as elegant and smooth as on some other software. But at the end of the day the image is what stays and counts. Nobody will ask you what software did you use when you can present a stunning image. You will most likely be asked about the camera and lens. But the software "renders" the image! It's as important as your camera and lens.

I had some trouble with DCU myself, but I'm on other platform (Mac) and my (solved) problems don't relate to yours. If you are hooked to DCU and can't get the darn thing running then try an older version, an update and/or install on other computer. If you are not yet hooked anyhow go and get Lightroom.

Cheers,
D
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Here is what works for me...
Look very carefully at the tabs in the upper and lower wing areas on the right and left of the main screen. Do you see one called "preview?" If so, click the "x" on that.

If you "x" the preview window when it is showing in the center area, it goes to one of the wing areas. If you "x" it in one of the wing areas, it goes back to the center.

I don't know why they didn't put it on the "display panel" menu. As someone else mentioned in this thread, this software isn't the most user friendly.

And, BTW, if you double-click one of the thumbnails, that should open in a window. Depending on ... I'm not sure what... the window might be another tab in the "area 4" or it might be its own floating window, possibly hidden behind the main application window. The image can take some time to display, as in about 10 seconds on my computer. I have a pretty slow computer, but don't expect instant results no matter what you are using.