Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Complete novice ?

Hi guys,

As mentioned in my intro my daughter has bought a K-R twin lens kit (18-55mm & 50-200mm), the main use of the camera will be taking pictures of the little ones (16months & 4months).

Now, my daughter had not even held an SLR until yesterday, the camera should be dilivered today, so the term "Complete novice" is well placed here LOL!!.

My question is........is there a few simple "Do's" to get her started?
I put it that way because I find at work it is useful to give people on training a few pointers, from there they find their way round and, in this case build from there..........hope that makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated.

slab288

09-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would put the camera into P mode until you are familiar with the settings.
09-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #3

Tell her to read the manual carefully. There's a lot of good stuff there. Yes it's a long manual (300+ pages) so it takes some time. But a few pages a day, and after a while you finish it. If she starts to want to improve the quality of her pictures more, taking a few classes on the subject is a nice idea as well. A few days learning some of the basics really helps you extract what the camera can provide you with. It's up to her now how far she wants to follow this rabbit hole now
Oh yeah, tell her to sign up for this forum. There's lots of good info here and very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable folks.
09-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #4

P mode and auto iso (until 1600 or 3200) is the easiest way to go.
The next step could be the A mode (still with auto iso)

09-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slab288 Quote
16months & 4months
That must be quite a hand full! I agree with Steve and Luiz. For a start, keep it simple, auto or p mode, start reading the manual, and all the threads about exposure etc, and then gradually start exploring the other options. Take a lot of photo's, because you'll need the practice to get it perfect, especially if you've never used a DSLR before.
09-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies.....it's appreciated

And yes altopiet with the little ones being 16months & 4months it is a handfull especially when Angela also works..........she will sign up but getting the time may be a problem hence I'm here.

The Auto was/is the place to start but now she can have a play with the P button aswell and move on from there. The instruction manual I have down loaded, printed off and put in a folder (A4 size) so Angela will have something to read rather than peer at as with most instruction manuals and given it's 355 pages long the bigger the better.

I haven't had the call yet to say the camera is in so that will be later tonight then it'll be play time as they say.

slab288
09-17-2011, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
Hi guys,

As mentioned in my intro my daughter has bought a K-R twin lens kit (18-55mm & 50-200mm), the main use of the camera will be taking pictures of the little ones (16months & 4months).

Now, my daughter had not even held an SLR until yesterday, the camera should be dilivered today, so the term "Complete novice" is well placed here LOL!!.

My question is........is there a few simple "Do's" to get her started?
I put it that way because I find at work it is useful to give people on training a few pointers, from there they find their way round and, in this case build from there..........hope that makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated.

slab288
I would suggest you get her a Sony NEX. You will make herself and yourself happier.
09-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
I would suggest you get her a Sony NEX. You will make herself and yourself happier.
Thanks for the input dragra.............too late now though.............on the plus side, and in the abscence of the actual camera, she was down here earlier and was totally engrossed in the owners manual I printed off and no longer here LOL!!

slab288

09-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend that she play around with the camera first. Once you run in to any specific issues, feel free to ask and we'll definitely be of more help!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I recommend that she play around with the camera first. Once you run in to any specific issues, feel free to ask and we'll definitely be of more help!
Yep I see what you're saying Adam...........I'll keep shtum until she has done exactly that..........well I'll try anyways.

slab288
09-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
An update.....just been and colleted the camera and the battery is on charge so it will be ready to "play" with later tonight.

slab288

PS it had been delivered to the wrong store so I said I would pop over a pick it up myself at which point they gave me a refund of 30 for doing so.........very nice
09-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Cheez, Dragra. There be nowt wrong with the K-r. Unless I 've missed some irony here...
09-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crowley Quote
Cheez, Dragra. There be nowt wrong with the K-r. Unless I 've missed some irony here...
Crowley......I think Dragras' point may be that the Sony is perhaps an easier camera to get to know and given my daughter is a working mum it may be, in that respect, more user friendly........if that's the rite way to put it.

slab288
09-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

As she wants to shoot kids the most important thing I can say is get down to their level, don't shoot down at kids and when shooting little ones laying on a bed don't shot up their nose. Shoot a lot, digital images are free, you can always delete them.

Hans

Last edited by hnikesch; 09-18-2011 at 12:16 PM.
09-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #15

Crowley......I think Dragras' point may be that the Sony is perhaps an easier camera to get to know and given my daughter is a working mum it may be, in that respect, more user friendly........if that's the rite way to put it.

slab288
I have a K-r myself and love it. My friends often ask me what camera to buy and I don't always say them to buy a Pentax! I ask them about their photographic ambition and their knowledge. I have recommended Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Pentax and believe it or not, even Canon and Nikon.

For people that never used a SLR before a modern dSLR is a total overkill. When normal people without a photographic background want a digital camera with premium image quality I point them to the new mirrorless Olympus and Sony. Nobody complained so far.

Cheers,
D