Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera overexposes every few pics?

I'm still a n00b, so bear with me, please!

Most of my photography is animals, my two horses being my most frequent subjects. Usually they're tearing around the pasture, so for the fast action galloping shots I like to keep my shutter speed pretty fast - around 1/400-1/500 (and even then sometimes a leg or two will come out blurry :P). I usually shoot in manual, and my last couple of batches of photos I've noticed it seems like every third photo is really overexposed; I'll look at the bottom and the pictures rotate between taken at 1/500, 1/400, and 1/250(overexposed). Why does the camera do this? Is this normal? Any insight would be appreciated...

09-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual mode assumes you are setting the aperture, shutter speed and iso value so none should be varying.
Are you actually using M or something else?
09-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I'm actually using M! As far as I can tell, it just started doing this a few weeks ago (only use the camera once a week or so and just noticed recently, I think I'd've noticed in the past if it had been a problem)... pretty annoying.

edit: I've been shooting in AF-C / continuous autofocus if that makes a difference...
09-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok perhaps you have exposure bracketing turned on and didn't notice it?
Check the menu options or when in shooting mode hit the info button and look for auto bracketing.

edit-
See page 119 of the manual, apparently it is accessed through the drive mode.

Last edited by crewl1; 09-19-2011 at 11:35 PM.
09-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you're hitting the green button inadvertently when shooting, it'll meter and change your shutter speed. Just a thought. It really shouldn't change in manual mode unless you somehow tell it to.

If you're sure you're not changing settings, or for example it's changing the shutter speed in manual and burst modes... I think you have a problem.
09-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
"Ok perhaps you have exposure bracketing turned on and didn't notice it?" ---> Oh my gosh, you know what, I might have been playing with the settings (sometimes I just go through the menus to familiarize myself with them) and accidentally clicked on it, I didn't even think of that. I am about to run out the door to work right now but will check all my settings as soon as I get home tonight - I should have done that before I posted, I suppose!! Oops!

Thank you both for the input!! >__<

Edit: Yep, the drive mode was on auto-bracket. Duurrrrrrr. I feel super smart now. Thank you, crewl!

Last edited by Elisha; 09-20-2011 at 09:15 PM.