Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

Front Focus on my New K-R. (Nothing New)

Hello People!

I just recived my new K-R and it has this super common problem (Front Focus). I really like this camera and all the Pentax Gear, But I cant live with that.

Should I Return it and save more for K-5? Somebody knows if theres the same problem in that camera?? (K-5).

This is MY first DSLR, I've been using some Canons and Nikons (All rented or borrowed) and I really dont like them. I just LOVE how Pentax feels in my hands. So, should i return it and wait for a new one or save more for the K-5??

Thanks!!

LeGonze

09-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #2

Original Poster
By the way!!... This is my first post... so...

Hi Everyone!!!... Jeje... =D...

Ok, regarding on this problem, I tried to adjust the focus (AF Fine Adjustment). I give it -10 but its just not enough.

Have a great day!!!

Saludos!!!... =D
09-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeGonze Quote
Hello People!

I just recived my new K-R and it has this super common problem (Front Focus). I really like this camera and all the Pentax Gear, But I cant live with that.

Should I Return it and save more for K-5? Somebody knows if theres the same problem in that camera?? (K-5).

This is MY first DSLR, I've been using some Canons and Nikons (All rented or borrowed) and I really dont like them. I just LOVE how Pentax feels in my hands. So, should i return it and wait for a new one or save more for the K-5??

Thanks!!

LeGonze
I understand your frustration, maybe there is a simple solution for your problems: K-r has AF-fine adjustment (but stores a setting only for 1 lens at a time). It's in the C3 menu chapter 21.

What lens are you using? On what light situations do you encounter focusing problems? What focus mode are you using? What WB setting are you using? Can you post some pictures with 100% crops for analyzing?

Cheers,
D
09-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Dagra!

Yeap I did that. I adjusted to -10 (Thats the maximum), but its not enough.

I was shooting my mom just for testing and i realize that her face was out of focus. Her shoulder looked sharper. I was using AF by point, so I was focusing my moms face. Then I searched a little bit and I found a test chart. So I start testing the camera with the DA 35mm 2.4. (I love it). And it was so out of focus, then I Adjusted like i said (-10) And its better now (Not perfect). Then I tested with kit lens DAL 18-55mm 3.5, but with that one its just not enough the adjustment. I was shooting on window light. And I was using AWB. Advice???...

Thank you!!!... =D

09-21-2011, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGonze Quote
Hi Dagra!

Yeap I did that. I adjusted to -10 (Thats the maximum), but its not enough.

I was shooting my mom just for testing and i realize that her face was out of focus. Her shoulder looked sharper. I was using AF by point, so I was focusing my moms face. Then I searched a little bit and I found a test chart. So I start testing the camera with the DA 35mm 2.4. (I love it). And it was so out of focus, then I Adjusted like i said (-10) And its better now (Not perfect). Then I tested with kit lens DAL 18-55mm 3.5, but with that one its just not enough the adjustment. I was shooting on window light. And I was using AWB. Advice???...

Thank you!!!... =D
When using fast primes DOF can get pretty thin and focus needs to be nailed down. I would suggest you make a test in a controlled environment with a kitlens shooting a printed focus-test-sheet. Try different light sources (hard daylight, shadow, dusk, electric light etc...) and different WB settings. Also try Live-View and contrast detect AF (instead of phase detect AF).

FF or BF can result from small tolerances in the lens assembling process, that's why the AF-fine adjust is there, to compensate that. If your camera frontfocuses beyond the internal correction range I would complain and return it.

Cheers,
D
09-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
When using fast primes DOF can get pretty thin and focus needs to be nailed down. I would suggest you make a test in a controlled environment with a kitlens shooting a printed focus-test-sheet. Try different light sources (hard daylight, shadow, dusk, electric light etc...) and different WB settings. Also try Live-View and contrast detect AF (instead of phase detect AF).

FF or BF can result from small tolerances in the lens assembling process, that's why the AF-fine adjust is there, to compensate that. If your camera frontfocuses beyond the internal correction range I would complain and return it.

Cheers,
D
Thanks man!!!... I will test it with all kind of light and WB... If it keeps failing i will return it and give it another chance.

Saludos!!!... =D...
09-21-2011, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Switch the AWB to tungsten and try again. That fixes it for my camera. If there is any warm light, use tungsten white balance and if you're not sure use tungsten and you can always change the WB later in post. Of course outside there are no issues. If you can afford it return the camera and get the K-5. The K-5 had the issue, but it was fixed with a firmware update.

09-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I jumped into this one with two feet first. Try every thing else before assuming it is that.I spoke to pentax about another matter yesterday and enquired about any problems related to artificial lighting mainly red. They hinted in the future the kr will have a different sensor.All is not gloom and doom as I had thought.
09-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You mean the next model after the K-r, so it's bad for the current owners. I imagine the next K-r will have the NEX 5N's sensor.