Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Way to set photo defaults?

This is probably a dumb question, but I couldn't find an answer in the manual. Is there a way to set photo defaults to, say, richer color and sharper images without having to reset it everytime you take a photo? In other words, for most modes, can I set a default that can accomplish the above?

Thanks for any help.

Monte

09-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not have a K-r and cannot asnwer directly.

However I prefer to switch off any in-camera PP because its dealy (2-3 s) can be substantial and annoying. Instead I perform all PP on computer.

Using Pentax Digital Camera Utility PDCU 4.33, you can set your defaults and save these preferences (called Paramters) to apply these later to other photographs. You can i fact save several Parameters types.

Hope that the comment will assist.

Last edited by hcc; 09-22-2011 at 12:50 AM.
09-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With my K20D is a feature called Custom Image. I punch the Fn button, then the OK button, then select which Custom profile to use: Plain, Landscape, Portrait, Vibrant, Monochrome, etc. Under each profile are variable settings for Contrast, Saturation, Filtering, Toning, Sharpness, etc. I can change those to my preferences. When I restart the camera, those remain the defaults.

I shoot RAW only. Those Custom Image settings affect the in-camera JPG rendering engine; but they also carry over as defaults into the RAW developer, where I can tweak them as needed. Play around with the settings and see what works for you. Have fun!
09-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
With my K20D is a feature called Custom Image...
As it is with the K-r. It sounds exactly the same as your K20D, except for the button pressed to get there. This is what OP is looking for.

09-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info

I sure appreciate the responses. They are all terrific. I did know about Custom Image, but I am still not sure how to make it a default. I do like to shoot in RAW, but there are times when I shoot JPGs. I'll check the manual under Custom Image to see if there is a way to set that as the default.

Thanks again for all of the great information. The K-R is a terrific camera. It is amazing how much functionality and quality you get for the buck.

Regards to all.
09-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbo1 Quote
I did know about Custom Image, but I am still not sure how to make it a default. I do like to shoot in RAW, but there are times when I shoot JPGs. I'll check the manual under Custom Image to see if there is a way to set that as the default.
Whatever Custom Image settings you make should remain as defaults when you exit the CI setup. As for RAW, the Rec.Mode menu lets you set File Format, JPG size and quality, Color Space, stuff like that. In my K20D manual, the section on Shooting Settings tells how to set Custom Image and File Format. Once you set those, they ARE the defaults.
09-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbo1 Quote
I sure appreciate the responses. They are all terrific. I did know about Custom Image, but I am still not sure how to make it a default. I do like to shoot in RAW, but there are times when I shoot JPGs. I'll check the manual under Custom Image to see if there is a way to set that as the default.

Thanks again for all of the great information. The K-R is a terrific camera. It is amazing how much functionality and quality you get for the buck.

Regards to all.
As already answered whatever Custom Image setting you choose it will stay there permanently. The easiest way to change Custom Image settings is in the Control Panel view (you get there by pressing INFO once when on Status screen). The first icon upper row on extreme left side represents CI. When CI is highlighted you can cycle through with the e-dial.

If you press OK button a detailed setting window for that CI will pop up. It makes sense that you have already taken an image when you cycle through this, otherwise the screen will be black and you won't see the CI effect. When a detailed CI view is active you cycle through with the 4-way button array. You can also modify each setting to your liking, but I prefer to keep the defaults (which are very good) and make tweaks later on a computer.

The main difference if shooting RAW or JPEG concerning Custom Imaga is that in JPEG your default setting will be applied. With RAW the same default setting will be applied when you start processing, but you can override that and change it later to whatever you think is more appropriate for the scene.

Cheers,
D