Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Personally, I would have preferred that the extra battery compartment space be used for (a) a back IR port and/or (b) the machinery for an on-board AC adapter and battery charger. My P&S allows for a simple plug to be stuck into the camera, powering via AC or charging the battery. This would be much nicer than a $75, hard-to-find AC adapter for the K-r! (Still love the camera, though. )
From where I live I can get the AC-adapter by online order. Not that I need it...

10-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #17
Forum Member

I was really keen on the AA adaptor idea but in practice I've just bought two spare (non-OEM) Li-ion batteries and now have ample power for the vast majority of situations. In heavy travel use I've never had to use more than two of these, and mostly only one. (The OEM definitely works longer than the other two, but they are fine.)

Agree with others on the 35mm – a must have for the price. It hardly ever leaves my camera.
10-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I love my adaptor...
10-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yeah my K-r arrived...My second day with it, and no problems yet.
The camera feels very good with those kit lenses. Im gonna buy a few primes and test it out. The high ISO performance is amazing. I snapped a picture at 12800 ISO and was able to recover it to be usable at 1024x768 (resized in photoshop)...Very usable, i masked out the details and it came out simply extraordinary.

10-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Yeah my K-r arrived...My second day with it, and no problems yet.
The camera feels very good with those kit lenses. Im gonna buy a few primes and test it out. The high ISO performance is amazing. I snapped a picture at 12800 ISO and was able to recover it to be usable at 1024x768 (resized in photoshop)...Very usable, i masked out the details and it came out simply extraordinary.
If you are going to try out primes make sure you take a look at their 35mm 2.4 lens. Its pretty much yet to leave my camera. Its a great focal length on a crop sensor.
10-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #21

Hi
I burned out the brigde stage and i am searching for my first dslr.
I really like the pentax k-r kit with 2 lens but i see in amazon
that anyone buy it.
http://www.amazon.com/...OG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
what's going on?.
the pentax kr is in touching the 660 dollars barrier and nobody buy it.
the e-dial and focus problem are supposedly already fixed. then what happens?
I don't live in usa but i buy from amazon.com.
another question
why shipping weight is 7lb?
I really doubt that weight so much
thanks
10-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure...

QuoteOriginally posted by sagatoxx Quote
Hi
that anyone buy it.
what's going on?.
another question
thanks
I am not totally sure what you are asking. I purchased mine for $540USD a few months back. I believe that people are still buying them, but they can be had for less than $660USD with the kit 18-55 lens. Two lenses - I am not sure. Also 7 lbs. is not an unreasonable shipping weight. Double boxed with two lenses I would think that that is fairly accurate.

10-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
If you are going to try out primes make sure you take a look at their 35mm 2.4 lens
Plus one to that. I also have the 35mm and leave it on most of the time. Beats the kit lens for sharpness and versatility (light-wise) hands down.
10-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Personally, I would have preferred that the extra battery compartment space be used for (a) a back IR port and/or (b) the machinery for an on-board AC adapter and battery charger. My P&S allows for a simple plug to be stuck into the camera, powering via AC or charging the battery. This would be much nicer than a $75, hard-to-find AC adapter for the K-r! (Still love the camera, though. )
I would be afraid of this just in case the battery went bad or overheated during charging and exploded...inside of your camera. I'd rather have to replace a charger and battery then a whole new camera. That's just how I see it.

I like AA batteries but this lithium battery seems to last forever for my purposes, I have yet to be tempted to grab the adapter.
10-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by djb21au Quote
Plus one to that. I also have the 35mm and leave it on most of the time. Beats the kit lens for sharpness and versatility (light-wise) hands down.
I'll add a couple of pluses to this comment; the SMC Pentax DA f2.4 35mm is a gem at it's price point. I was lucky enough to find it at Overstock.com at the ridiculously low price of $177.00 (USD).

I had my Kr at work yesterday and took some snaps the lens is without a doubt better/sharper than my Pentax 50mm f1.4 at any setting.

Here's a 100% crop of a shot only PP was to add the exif data you see and the border, no other adjustments made (EXIF attached).
The shot was taken handheld under florescent lighting with large windows and lots of natural light pouring into the shop. The Kr had no problems with the lighting or the back/front focus problems as reported by others.
The lens is pretty sharp considering it was handheld by an old guy.

I'm hoping that Pentax will make other primes at different focal lengths that provide similar IQ at a price point the average Joe/Sally can afford.

Anyway if you can't afford limited primes in this focus range buy this lens it's a steal at it's price point.
Attached Images

10-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by sagatoxx Quote
Hi
that anyone buy it.
what's going on?.
another question
thanks
Not sure how you figure no one is buying the Kr it has hundreds of reviews so someone is buying it.

I bought my Kr in January and have had no problems with it. I bought body only since I was coming from a Pentax k200D and already had some lenses.
If you're going to purchase a Kr double lens kit buy the one that comes with the 55-300 mm lens. The 55-300 lens is a fantastic lens bought separately it would cost hundreds of $.
As far as the weight goes don't forget there is a camera, battery, charger, and other accessories, two lenses and the packing materials. I just rented a single lens and the package was listed at 4lbs so 7lbs isn't bad.

I have another post in this thread you might want to take a look at using the 35mm f2.4.

You won't regret your purchase of a Kr it's a great camera.
10-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #27

thanks for reply

because i'm wondered why no one reviewed it in amazon

my other option is the D5100 but with 2 lenses the price goes up to 1000 and I'm not
sure if it's worth the extra 300
10-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #28
Veteran Member

There are lots of user reviews of the K-r on Amazon. Perhaps the listing you looked at was from a new seller or something.

33 reviews

22 reviews

11 more here

Just do a quick search and you'll find all you want.
10-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

There's a comparison review in the latest PC Pro magazine. It wins against all comers basically in everything that matters - image quality, autofocus, speed (unless lens correction is on), LCD quality. That's against Canon 600D, 1100D, Nikon D3100, 5100, sigma SD15, Sony A580, NEX-C3, Panasonic G3, GF3, GH2, Samsung NX11. The kit lens was the best one, sharpest in the corners mainly with more detail than higher MP cameras. They used Natural mode rather than the default Bright.
10-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
There are lots of user reviews of the K-r on Amazon. Perhaps the listing you looked at was from a new seller or something.

33 reviews

22 reviews

11 more here

Just do a quick search and you'll find all you want.
I'm sorry
I cant do you understand me.

I'm talking about Recent reviews from buyers who just buy it. now that the price has dropped so much

ps:sorry my written english is very rusty

Last edited by sagatoxx; 10-08-2011 at 02:28 PM.