Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

A week with the K-R and only have 3 gripes.

I picked up a K-R a week ago and I love the camera. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great DSLR. I only have 3 gripes/changes.

1. When deleteing a photo I should not have to press DELETE -> UP ARROW -> OK. I should be able to click DELETE and then DELETE once more to confirm like every other camera I have used. Its slow and cumbersome when trying to delete photos on the fly.

2. The AA carrier. As I look at the bay in the bottom of of the camera they could have designed that bay to hold 4-AA batteries and the rechargeable battery pack without the use of a carrier. Its great how if my battery dies I can just go buy AA batteries, but I have to pack & purchase the carrier.

3. The infrared port, why? Games, nobody is going to play a game against other K-R cameras. Why waste the development time/money/space inside the camera on this?

09-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your points are minor but I agree with all but the last, The IR port is also used for the IR remote and that is a must for me

Hans
09-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was under the understanding the the IR port on the front was used for the remote (the one that blinks) and the one on the side was used for 2-way camera communication. I could be wrong on that though.
09-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
1. When deleteing a photo I should not have to press DELETE -> UP ARROW -> OK. I should be able to click DELETE and then DELETE once more to confirm like every other camera I have used. Its slow and cumbersome when trying to delete photos on the fly.
Don't bother until you've uploaded everything to your computer. I know there will be some shots in the field that you know immediately are not worth keeping, but surely there will be others once you've viewed them on screen?

If it's memory card space - buy more memory cards

09-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'll FINALLY buy my K-r this week (i'll be travelling). I hope it comes without any problems.
09-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
I'll FINALLY buy my K-r this week (i'll be travelling). I hope it comes without any problems.
Mine has zero problems. Most of what I listed would be preferred design changes. When I ordered my K-r I also picked up the 35mm 2.4 Prime lens, Wow, that little guy is amazing for low light indoors and as a walk-around lens.
09-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was under the understanding the the IR port on the front was used for the remote (the one that blinks) and the one on the side was used for 2-way camera communication. I could be wrong on that though.
I believe you are correct on the ir port, as for the 35mm 2.4 I would like one also, looks like a nice lens, I have a manual K a 28 f2.8 but it's not that that sharp.

Hans

09-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're going to order a AA adapter for it, you can get an off brand one on ebay for $10 or less. They're every bit as good, and I've seen zero complaints (but a lot of praise) on the board here.

As others have said, it's just a waste of time to delete individual photos in the field. Personally, I'm glad it does require a two button confirmation, as double tapping delete by accident seems like a possibility.

The secondary IR port is pretty silly, I have to admit. It would have been better to put a second one on the back, and have it be dual purpose between the silly camera to camera feature, and for the remote release.
09-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The second port on the K10 is on the back, or maybe the one on the front is the second. Whichever, I can use my remote from in front or behind the camera, which is very handy.
09-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The second port on the K10 is on the back, or maybe the one on the front is the second. Whichever, I can use my remote from in front or behind the camera, which is very handy.
Yes. I use my remote more when I am standing behind my camera, using it on tripod with mirror lock up -- say shooting macro shots or whatever. It is awfully handy that Pentax puts them on both places.
09-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #11

I picked up a K-R a week ago and I love the camera. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great DSLR. I only have 3 gripes/changes.

I never delete photos directly in the camera, so this is no issue for me.

QuoteQuote:
2. The AA carrier. As I look at the bay in the bottom of of the camera they could have designed that bay to hold 4-AA batteries and the rechargeable battery pack without the use of a carrier. Its great how if my battery dies I can just go buy AA batteries, but I have to pack & purchase the carrier.
No they couldn't. The battery compartment is designet to fit the Li-Ion battery and the AA-Carrier. Li-Ion is the standard trouble free way to go. AA-adapter is an extra option for all the AA fans out there.

QuoteQuote:
3. The infrared port, why? Games, nobody is going to play a game against other K-R cameras. Why waste the development time/money/space inside the camera on this?
It's the Pentax social network. Lately I met a K-r grrl and we played Image Battle game. It was fun.

09-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
jdg
Forum Member

I was also wondering about this, so can the IRport on the side of the kr be used with the wireless remote for bulb photography?
09-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote

No they couldn't. The battery compartment is designet to fit the Li-Ion battery and the AA-Carrier. Li-Ion is the standard trouble free way to go. AA-adapter is an extra option for all the AA fans out there.

It's the Pentax social network. Lately I met a K-r grrl and we played Image Battle game. It was fun.

For the lithium ion battery, that was a one off design for the K-R. That battery works/fits only in the K-R. They could have designed that compartment to fit a special lithium ion battery (like they did) & AAs without the use of an adapter. Would have made much more sense.

As for the game, I had not idea it would also double as a chick magnet.
09-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #14

For the lithium ion battery, that was a one off design for the K-R. That battery works/fits only in the K-R. They could have designed that compartment to fit a special lithium ion battery (like they did) & AAs without the use of an adapter. Would have made much more sense.
How would you design that? Have a look at the Li-Ion battery, the form it has and where the contacts are. Then look at the AA battery in detail. What you would like to have is mission impossible.

Pentax did it the right way this time, because lots of K-x user (which had the AA as only option) had problems with AA. The decision for the Li-Ion and the optional AA-power is better for the user.

QuoteQuote:
As for the game, I had not idea it would also double as a chick magnet.
Yes, it works! Besides, the Pentax grrls are much more pretty than the CaNikon gals.
09-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Personally, I would have preferred that the extra battery compartment space be used for (a) a back IR port and/or (b) the machinery for an on-board AC adapter and battery charger. My P&S allows for a simple plug to be stuck into the camera, powering via AC or charging the battery. This would be much nicer than a $75, hard-to-find AC adapter for the K-r! (Still love the camera, though. )