Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So I think maybe I actually like Live View

I was playing with my new Sigma 24/2.8 manual focus macro lens, and for some reason I decided to try out manual focusing in live view. I've tried it with autofocus before and wasn't very impressed, but having such a large screen to get the focus right was really nice. Coming from the k100d I think I've thought that Live View was just a gimmick, and a waste of battery power, but I quite liked it. I could get the focus much quicker than usual. I doubt this will work all that well for a big lens, but for a small prime, it's not bad. Focus confirmation through the viewfinder doesn't always work that well, and often it doesn't show so I end up doing it by eye. This kind of makes me even more interested in picking up a NEX or NX system for my manual lenses, but I'm still waiting to see what Pentax comes up with for a mirror-less. I know it won't be nearly as good outside, but it's nice to have a new tool to play with.

09-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I was playing with my new Sigma 24/2.8 manual focus macro lens, and for some reason I decided to try out manual focusing in live view. I've tried it with autofocus before and wasn't very impressed, but having such a large screen to get the focus right was really nice. Coming from the k100d I think I've thought that Live View was just a gimmick, and a waste of battery power, but I quite liked it. I could get the focus much quicker than usual. I doubt this will work all that well for a big lens, but for a small prime, it's not bad. Focus confirmation through the viewfinder doesn't always work that well, and often it doesn't show so I end up doing it by eye. This kind of makes me even more interested in picking up a NEX or NX system for my manual lenses, but I'm still waiting to see what Pentax comes up with for a mirror-less. I know it won't be nearly as good outside, but it's nice to have a new tool to play with.
Sounds like we had a similar first experience with LV. I now consider it indispensable for MFing when on a tripod, which for me is quite a bit of the time.
09-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

+1

I use it all the time to MF on my K-5. The K-5's focusing screen makes LV indespensible for MF.
09-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I know it won't be nearly as good outside, but it's nice to have a new tool to play with.
It's still usable outside if you get one of those Hoodman LCD loupes. Makes your LCD into a huge EVF.

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
+1

I use it all the time to MF on my K-5. The K-5's focusing screen makes LV indespensible for MF.
You need a Canon S-type screen. I think you'll find that you don't need to rely on LV nearly as much.

09-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wish I could use the Canon S in the K-r. Thanks for the tip on the LCD Hood.
09-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
You need a Canon S-type screen. I think you'll find that you don't need to rely on LV nearly as much.
That will probably be my next camera related purchase.

The only problem with that is it will force me to buy more manual focus lenses!
09-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you hit the info button to zoom in or are you able to use the full view to focus?
I find the zoom in necessary. Is there a way to default the zoomed live view?

09-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was wondering if there was a zoom, I was going to look through the manual, thanks. I found the full size sufficient, but I will try the zoom today.