Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
focus issues?

I just ordered a K-r, it will be here in ten days. The only bad thing I could see about this camera on any reviews was the 11 point focus thing, where there might be issues with focusing on what you want to shoot. I go to daytime bullridings (practices and jackpots) and wondered if this would be a concern with that much action. I am not going to waste my time with something that isn't going to focus for me. I have a K100d and the Ist-d. One is a backup (of course) so now I may have to decide which to sell? Or really, what's the harm in two backups?

09-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You don't have to use 11 point AF, you can also set it to 5, 1 (center), or one of the 11 that you select manually. Once you take a bit of time to use it and get familiar with what it can do, you'll be able to select the setting appropriate to your subject/scene.

Personally, I fall back on center spot focus a lot. It's just more convenient, and one can always focus and recompose, or crop later.
10-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #3

i thought the multi-point autofocus is supposed to prioritize focus on the nearest point. In your picture, the background is more in focus than the subject. Do pentax cameras not do this?
10-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, if I posted that I didn't have the K-r yet, that means I took that with the k-100d. I would imagine the bull is a bit blurry because my lens isn't a low-light lens, the sun was going down, and the bull was moving. The shutter could have been open a bit longer than it would have an hour earlier. I don't think the K-100d has the multi-point autofocus. I couldn't have possibly taken that picture with a K-r, since I hadn't received it yet. The issue I have with shooting in low light is having my subject blurry, that happens on really overcast days, too. It sucks, but I can't afford a $800 2.5 lens. Oh, wait.... I can, I can't justify the purchase when I need a roof on my house. I'll take donations though! Any recommendations on a decent lens? And how are the 50-300's? This was taken with the 50-200.

10-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Now I have K10D, and I have some trouble with AF in low light (especially with zoom lenses).
The new system in the K7 would be better in this aspect?
10-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The K100D has 11 point multipoint AF, individual points can be selected. 5 points cannot be selected. I would just expect the K-r to be faster and better in low light.