Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Playback - Slight Delay in Image Becoming Sharp

Hello, I recently purchased a Pentax K-r. It is my first DSLR camera. When I playback an image I have taken on the LCD screen of the K-r, there is a slight delay in the image becoming sharp after it is first displayed. The image sharpens within a moment, but it is noticable. This is not something that my Panasonic Lumix P&S does. In playback of images on the Lumix, the image is immediately in focus when first displayed. Is the slight delay in an image becoming sharp after it is first displayed in the K-r typical or does it sound like my camera is defective? I've already had to have the LCD monitor replaced. Thanks.

09-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG?
09-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

The exact same thing occurs on my camera, I never thought it was a problem as everything else works (I shoot RAW+).
09-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm shooting 12 mb JPEG.

09-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a normal image processing delay. The processor needs about a second to read the whole image and process it, so the camera quickly generates a low-quality image to ensure responsiveness while reviewing images, then processes the full JPEG data to produce a sharp image. I've noticed this behavior on a fellow photographer's Canon EOS 5D Mark II as well.

--DragonLord
09-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. (Also, I meant to say I was shooting 12 MP JPEP rather than 12 mb.)
09-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Definitely normal, especially noticeable when shooting raw, and less so with jpeg.

10-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might also depend on how many of the post processing options you have turned on for the jpeg. I shoot only in RAW and have not really noticed any delay. But I have heard others mention that some of the processing options take a bit of time. Things like highlight correction or shadow correction and a few others I don't remember. But it does take a bit of time to 'cook' the jpeg out of the RAW exposure.