Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you experienced any problems with your K-r?
My K-r has never had any problems 9169.47%
My K-r has or had minor problems that do not render it unusable 2619.85%
My K-r has or had major problems that render it unusable 1410.69%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

That's some crappy luck, I sympathize.

10-04-2011, 03:30 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
I was in the same boat. Past the 30 day return so I had no option of returning. Plus since it was still under warranty I wanted them to repair it rather than me trying various solutions found on the net. If they break it during the process, they fix it. If I break it during the process, tough luck.

Also, I wanted them to check into the front focusing issue as well. They did make some changes to the focusing mechanism which allowed me to properly adjust the focus settings.

AB
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #18

I've only had my K-r for a few weeks, but so far its been great. No problems and I voted as such!
10-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #19

Got mine for about ten months. No problems.

10-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour,

I purchased my K-r in January and have had no problems ... shutter count should be near or over 8,000 by now.

Salut, J
10-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Voted and thanks for starting the poll...sure hope many will vote.
10-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #22
Site Supporter

I am logged in as jamesm007 and could click "View Poll Results" and see the results without voting!
10-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

That's normal. Are you now unable to cast a vote? That's usually how viewing the results without voting works, you give up your vote in the process. They may do it differently here though.

10-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #24

I've had mine since late November, shutter count at about 20,000. Has had some mirror lock-up issues with an old SMC-M 100mm macro that is most likely a lens problem, as other old primes work just fine. Other than that, no problems at all. So far very reliable.
02-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #25

I have had my Kr for about 1 year+ now and have just over 20,000 shots on it. Still works great
02-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aperture control ring failure/mirror flop issue that can also be found in the K-5 model. Sent it in to CRIS a few weeks ago and will be getting it back tomorrow. The camera was still under warranty so it wasn't a big deal, just paid for the shipping cost to CRIS. Thankfully didn't have any major events coming up soon. Overall I've been very happy with it!

To anyone looking at buying a K-r or any other Pentax model, I would highly recommend buying the 3 year extended warranty. It only costs $30 USD (last I checked) and it would be a very good investment. If my camera wasn't under warranty it would have cost me $170 to get repaired. Instead, it cost me $20 shipping.
02-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ablundon Quote
While I voted "My K-r has or had major problems that render it unusable" My e-dial started going wonky such that I couldn't change any settings to what I wanted..
I had the same e-dial problem which I discovered just after 30 days of ownership, If it hadn't been so simple to fix myself, I would have voted 'major' rather than 'minor'. I believe the problem existed out of the box, but I thought it was me not understanding the manual. After I started getting comfortable, I figured out it wasn't me. So far depth of field is covering what I suspect is a very slight auto-focus miscalibration ... I know where that setting is located, so as soon as I get a free afternoon, I'll tackle that.

I am also trying to decide if Pentax is trying to protect me from myself or encouraging me to avoid using any lens where the camera itself can't control the aperture. Based on another forum member's hint, I found out how to make my K-r think every lens is an A type. No more "F - - -" showing in the display! The metering system gives me an f/stop value - then I lock exposure and manually set my lens' aperture to match (or not as I choose). How hard can that be?

The one thing I still miss is a dedicated way to stop down a lens to check depth of field through the optical viewfiner. Yes, you can make the green button handle this function, but then you can't use the green button for other functions without swapping the button programming back & forth.
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #28

I've had mine since June 2011. I've recently begun using a 100mm f2.8 Macro and a Manual SMC 50mm f1.4 lenses. No problems so far.
02-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

So, i voted for no problems, but a couple of months ago something appeared : my pop up flash doesnt work. My camera wont autofocus with it up, only after like 1 min later. Even after its focused, the shutter wont fire, and when i select to fire while charging the camera will fire normally. Also, when i turn live view on with the pop up activated, the battery indicator will always say the battery is full, doesnt matter if its almost empty. I've found some similar problems here, apparently no solution.
So, +1 My K-r has or had minor problems that do not render it unusable, and -1 for My K-r has never had any problems. I already bought an AF280T to replace the pop up, but it would be good to have it working. Pentax also doesnt provide warranty here in Brazil. So...
Still, everything else works perfectly, loving the camera...I guess i bought it 6 months ago, or something like that. I still recommend the camera
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I got a K-x can I vote or no?