Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you experienced any problems with your K-r?
My K-r has never had any problems 9169.47%
My K-r has or had minor problems that do not render it unusable 2619.85%
My K-r has or had major problems that render it unusable 1410.69%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-r reliability poll

Inspired by this thread, this is a poll to determine the reliability of K-r cameras. To ensure accuracy, please vote if you have a K-r whether or not you have ever had any problems. If the camera has been repaired, report the state of the camera before it was repaired.

--DragonLord

Edit: Sorry if this thread was deleted and reposted several times. I wish Pentax Forums allowed a poll to be edited if no one has voted yet...

09-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
jdg
Forum Member

This would really help those people who are contemplating on getting a K-r like me.
09-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any errors, whether exposure color or composition, have clearly been due to the user - e.g. it freaked me out once with AF, but it turned out I had set the switch about halfway between MF and AF so focus motor spun without engaging the lens!
It's served me very well (though not yet for long!) after time with the k-x.
09-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You need one more option... "I don't have a K-r but want to see the data!"

My K-r hasn't had problems.. because I don't have one!

09-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #5

Our K-r went screwy just once in the 6 months we've had it. Shooting the WRC and at one point I must've knocked the lens release button because the 70-200 stopped registering on the camera (ie. F/--). Quite furiously corrected it but then the camera went all awry. I wanted to put it on Continuous High shooting, but whenever I would try and enter a menu, it would appear for maybe 1/2 a second then disappear, and some other buttons wouldn't work. Turned it off and on, still crap. Took the battery out, waited 10 seconds, put it back in and everything was back to normal.....weird....
09-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
You need one more option... "I don't have a K-r but want to see the data!"

My K-r hasn't had problems.. because I don't have one!
You can try logging out of your PentaxForums.com account to view the data. When you are done, log back in.

--DragonLord
09-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
unfortunately voting on any of them was a lot easier..

09-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, can a moderator add an option "I don't have a K-r"?

--DragonLord
09-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
e.g. it freaked me out once with AF, but it turned out I had set the switch about halfway between MF and AF so focus motor spun without engaging the lens!
Yep, the K-r seems to have the same three position switch as the K-7 and K-5, but the middle setting isn't used on the K-r, and will cause problems if you inadvertently try to use it. It's another one of those little quirks that once you're aware of it, you can easily avoid it.
10-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K-r pucharsed for my wife in January 2011. Found that it had mild front focus which needed a -3 correction. About a month later, the e-dial issue occured and was just annoying to shoot with. Numbers were skipping all over the place when trying to change either the Aperture or Shutter Speeds. Sent the camera into CRIS (Pentax warranty repair) and told them to look into both issues. When the camera was returned, paperwork stated the camera was cleaned and adjusted to manufacturer specs, with a suggestion of using Tungsten WB when shooting in artificial lighting. E-dial now works fine, but haven't tested the camera to see if it was still front focusing.

Now, about a week ago, I noticed the pop-up flash no longer fires. The K-r has since been sent the back to CRIS to see what they'll find. Disappointed to say the least, as we didn't have these problems with our old K-x or K-7.
10-03-2011, 03:40 AM   #11

While I voted "My K-r has or had major problems that render it unusable" I still love the camera. My e-dial started going wonky such that I couldn't change any settings to what I wanted. Once it was repaired though (now 7 months ago) it has been perfect ever since.
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #12

I don't understand those folks who are convinced their camera has some faults and they decide to live with it. Are you masochistic? Or do you enjoy the faults?

I would instantly return the camera that is not 100% working as expected. I don't have time and patience for less.
10-03-2011, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Sometimes people are beyond the 30 day return, so the cameras can't be sent back. The e-dial issues for me didn't occur until after the 30 day period, otherwise this camera would be on it's way back to Abes of Maine instead of CRIS.
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You really don't need to send the camera in over the e-dial. Seriously, it's a one minute fix. Check the other threads on it.
10-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, I did see the other threads, but I also wanted them to look into the front focusing in addition to the e-dial. Kill two birds with one stone. But now that the pop-up flash died, it's going back again.