Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

Fred

I just purchased my first Pentax K-r SLR Digital camera. It sure looks fancy and am anxious to learn the ins and outs. I've read the owners manual but they don't say too much about recording off of TV. I have two movies I want to record. One will be coming off my DVR which lasts about25 min. The other is a DVD and lasts about 90 minutes. I have ordered a good tripod and an ac adapter. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this and how much tv recording will a 16 GB Transcend memory card hold. I sure do appreciate any advise. Thanks a lot and I'll let you know how it goes. Fred

10-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Forum Member

That's really not how the kr is meant to preform. I would start with a VCR for what you want to do.
10-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
Fred

The owners manual tells me you can copy movies with it and it has a tv listed on the control knob. I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for answering. Fred
10-01-2011, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
TV actually stands for 'time values' or shutter speed. It has nothing to do with televisions, nor by the way, does AV mean audio visual. Now may the right time to take it back to the shop, or you'll loose chance of returning it by throwing it out the window when you find it can't record off the TV.

Seriously, I would ask who sold it to you? As said before, you obviously want a video recorder, but you've been sold a still camera.

10-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, from what I understand there is a maximum video clip duration of 25 minutes or 4GB

VCRs are also a lot cheaper....

10-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

If you are crazy enough to try, I'd recommend locking exposure so that when the screen goes white or black the camera won't decide to set a wacky sensitivity.
10-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Insert the DVD into your computer, and use software to rip it to a file. Google "how to rip a DVD" or something to get you started.

This is not what a camera is for, and even if you managed to make it work somehow, the quality would be Very disappointing.

10-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconrising Quote
The owners manual tells me you can copy movies with it and it has a tv listed on the control knob. I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for answering. Fred
Ummm, what page?
And the tv on the control knob doesn't mean television.
I think your presumption that the camera (or any camera for that matter) is capable of doing this is what is known as wrong.
10-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have read about the sensor heating up during live view and the camera shutting down when it gets too hot, I would assume that movie mode may also heat up the sensor. Reading the manual it states you can record up to 25 min's

Hans