Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

EV bar and new to dslr

Ok new to the whole process of owning a dslr. So I have used a point and shoot and went to dslr to learn more and develope a hobbie.

So can since what to learn by doing myself and asking questions. What is best approach in using the ev when I am in manual mode. O ya I can just put it on aut and take a picture. But since I would like to learn more this why I am asking.

I see that when in manual mode the ev bar when be at a negative red 3. Does this mean I should adjust the shutter or av three stops? Or just move the av until it is not red lol?

appreciate

10-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atomic Quote
I see that when in manual mode the ev bar when be at a negative red 3. Does this mean I should adjust the shutter or av three stops? Or just move the av until it is not red lol?
What camera body do you have? EV comp (the display characteristics) acts a little different between a couple of the different bodies - also, it will act different depending on the lens attached ("A" type lens or "M" type lens)...

---
10-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The body is just the kr camera with the Lens that came with the 18-55mm and 50mm-200mm I take it as a DA lens correct. I hope I answered correctly? If not tell me.
10-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Yes, those are DA lenses.

There are a number of uses for EV compensation but IMHO the EV adjustment is best left until you are a little more experienced.

If you are just talking about the metering bar, and you are using M mode then you need to adjust EITHER the aperture or the shutter speed until the meter bar is centered. It is more complicated than that but that is the basics.

Just starting out may I suggest you put the camera in Av mode for a little while and play with that. Then you select the aperture you want and the camera will automagically select the 'correct' shutter speed. Once you understand what is happening in Av mode then go back to M mode. Leave EV compensation alone for a bit.

I would suggest, if you are going to learn to use the camera in M mode, that you get a book on basic exposure. Try "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I think you will find learning what the camera does a lot easier once you have read the book. I certainly did.

Best,

10-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atomic Quote
The body is just the kr camera with the Lens that came with the 18-55mm and 50mm-200mm I take it as a DA lens correct. I hope I answered correctly? If not tell me.
I don't think you can adjust EV in manual mode (using the ev comp button) on the Kr - the EV button will navigate between shutter speed and f/stop selection (at least on the Kx it does), using the green button will meter the scene/subject and set the settings (ss and fs) for you. If using an "M" type lens, the EV button will also invoke the bodies metering system.

EDIT: Me and jatrax posted at same time, as he noted, the EV bar will move to - and + automatically in manual mode as you are framing the subject or scene. To over/under expose, you would just manually change shutter speed...

---
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok to both answers thanks. Yes I will probably just do what both have answered. I think I will look at the book. Yes I have to say that more people will know more about picture taking I believe for now than I might ever get to know.

I just did not want to stay on auto all the time and started to look at av mode. I say this and ask questions that might be too difficult for me to understand. Since you read the manual they refer you to other sections or pages when you are in one section. Thus I go to the other section and start thinking well might not know how to do something at the present time but want to learn about it.

I think these manuals can be written in a different way. It seems you are always jumping from one section to another before you get a grasp of the current section of the manual.
appreciated
10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The manual is not well organized but unfortunately it is what we have. I needed a lot of learning from other books before I could start to understand some of the areas in the manual. The manual is written to show you how to use that particular camera, not how to take photographs. I think you need the basics first then use the manual to learn your particular camera.

If you have questions just ask, this is a pretty good group and everyone here has helped me tremendously.