Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
battery questions

One thing I read below on a battery thread is that these rechargables don't take many pictures. I'd have to haul around three extra for one day's shooting. What I love love about the older cameras is that I could get the crv-3's and I needed two sets per year. That's under fifty bucks, and maybe that might seem pricey if I can pick up some generic rechargables for around ten apiece, but will the camera recognize any rechargable battery, as long as it's compatible? I'm almost tempted to return the camera based on the battery hassle alone. I don't want to have to mess with it that much. I am not sure why they won't allow the crv-3's on these cameras. I can take thousands of pictures on those, with no problem. *sigh*
I upgraded, thinking the higher megapixels would be a bonus, but now I'm wondering if the tradeoff is worth it? I'm waiting for the battery to charge up before I go photo taking and see how well I like it. There's a bull riding practice this weekend, I'll take the K100d as backup.

10-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How many shots do you expect to take on an average day? Under normal conditions I routinely get 500+ shots from a charge of the included Li-Ion battery, and carrying a second is no issue, they're so small and light.
10-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I got the adapter and a set of eneloops and I get considerably more shots on those than the stock battery. That said, I also get 500+ shots from the stock battery. If I leave the house with both, I'm good for well over 1000 shots before needing to recharge.

NOTE: I rarely use live view and never shoot video, but I do shoot hockey games where Ive got the focus motor running constantly in AFC mode tracking the action.
10-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pamzpix Quote
What I love love about the older cameras is that I could get the crv-3's and I needed two sets per year. That's under fifty bucks, and maybe that might seem pricey if I can pick up some generic rechargables for around ten apiece, but will the camera recognize any rechargable battery, as long as it's compatible?
Yes it will, compatible being the operative word. I use them as do many other regulars on this forum, and like you've noted you can get the clone Li-Ion batteries to suit the K-r from as low as about 10-12 USD now so that might be a worthwhile consideration to give you say 2k+ shots worth for the equivalent 50 bucks outlay.

The other popular alternative is sets of 4x LowSelfDischarge AAs, but I personally find them too bulky to lug in comparison even though some claim they deliver a few extra shots I've never found that n% advantage to be worthwhile.
(and I own a K-x too, which is dedicated AA size - but I still prefer the Li-Ion compact block type of the K-r)

.R.

" Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap
of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no
reason not to follow your heart."
-- Steve Jobs, Stanford commencement ceremony speech in 2005.

10-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
On an average day I don't take any pictures since I'm not a photographer - but for instance last Saturday I was at a jackpot bull riding and took about 900 pictures. Lots of action, so I'd be shooting one picture after another. I'm wondering how the focus thing is going to work with that much going on, there is no trouble with either of the older ones so I can't imagine any with a newer camera, but the older ones didn't have a 11 point focus thingy.
I would love to go to the bucking horse sale in Miles City MT, actually planning to go next year. If I can fire off 900 in two hours, I'm sure I can get way more than that in a day or two but I can always recharge overnight. Problem is not being able to recharge at the arena. If I can't get plenty of pictures with the k-r, I may as well stick to the camera that uses the crv-3's that last six months. If I have to take the K100, why mess with a new camera?