Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

How many users set the focus point and use AF.S/AF.C?

I had a training with BluePixel the other day and we went over how to adjust your auto-focus for single shot/continuous and how to set the focus point or leave it on auto. We practiced on Nikon/Canon but Pentax has the option too. I was just wondering, how many people here take advantage of the auto-focus modes or do you just leave it on AF.A? Do any of you select your focus points, or use the center-weighted and lock option?

I don't think it's a huge deal either way you do it, just curious. I plan on taking advantage of the focus modes (when I'm not using my manual lens) now that I know about them.

10-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm using a K-x and I primarily use AF-S with the center point only with the "focus and recompose" method. Unless I'm shooting sports or other fast moving subjects, then I'll switch to AF-C and auto 5 point. I pretty much always use center-weighted metering.
10-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
For static subjects I use AF.S and usually center spot+recompose. On stage shows and concerts I choose off-center spots, because center spot+recompose technique does not work for me here, I am missing the shots to often. (Besides, because of this I upgraded from K-x to K-r.)

On moving subjects I use AF.C and usually the central 5 points to track the subjects. I found this to be more effective than using all points. I never use AF.A.
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
As with others I never use AF.A. I generally use AF.S. and single center focus point while using the "focus and recompose" method.

I'll use AF.C. on moving subjects. I've shot some running events and AF.C. works good there. I'll also set the single point focus to one of the side points for shooting portrait. The focus point then ends up on the runner's face. The "focus and recompose" method doesn't work here as the person is out of focus by the time I recompose and shoot.

I haven't had much luck with the multi-point focus setting. I usually find it doesn't focus on the right object.

10-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I usually shoot MF with CIF now so it's AF.S most of the time. With AF, I'll go to AF.C only to shoot bursts. I've never found reason to set focus points with a dSLR, beyond selecting center or spot. I *have* set focus points sometimes with an advanced P&S due to much less room for cropping there. I *would* set focus points on the dSLR if I had time and reason to.
10-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use center focus and recompose most of the time.

Last night, for a play rehearsal, i used spot metering and center focus several times and it worked quite well. the problem with stage work is that the person's head can be spotlighted and easily clipped. the spot metering sure takes care of that.

At times i will use Auto focus point select when taken street photos. I put on the DA21 and shoot without looking thru the viewfinder for lcd. it focuses fast and gets the job done in crowds. Pretty good for stealth work.
10-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use AF.s and center point almost all of the time both on manual focus and AF lenses. The only time I have used AF.c was shooting some birds in flight.

I prefer to be able to select the exact point that is being focused on. I use the rear button for focus rather than the shutter release, so I can pick my spot hit the focus button and then recompose at leisure. Same on manual focus lenses except you have to focus and watch for the "in focus" indicator.

10-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

As many previous posters, I use Centre Focus point, and AF.S. I rarely used AF.C but for birds in flight (BIF). On the other hand, I use almost always Hi continuous shooting. Sometimes I take 1 shot, others 2-3 shots or longer bursts.

I would add that I use SR (like most Pentaxians) when handlhel. With SR it is important to wait to the SR confirmation (Hand icon in view finder) and this may take 1-2 s. This is a difference with Canon and Nikon which do no have SR.

Hope that the comment will help.
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

For the majority of time, I select my focus point (one of the 9 cross-points) and seldom recompose to avoid lens distortion effect especially with wide angle lens. I also do not let the camera choose focus points for me as most of the time, it is erroneous (focus on wrong subject). The only time, I switch to auto-focus point select is when I ask someone to take a picture for me with my camera. I also use center-weigh metering most of the time except when I need to change to spot metering to avoid highlight clipping.
10-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I usually shoot MF with CIF now so it's AF.S most of the time
Ditto - for me it is about 96-98% of the time, I very rarely use auto-focus or auto-focus lenses (at least for now)...

---
10-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I set a back button for AF on my bodies and use servo AF (continuous) that way it focuses when I want it to and I can manual focus whenever I want to. I mostly do wildlife or scenery type stuff, but it is also good for sports. Once you get used to back button AF it is very nice.
10-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I never use AF.A, but always seem to use AF.S. Most of the time, center focus point, recompose, like everyone else. If I'm shooting a lot of full body or 3/4 portraits, then I switch focus to the far right (or top most if you're holding the camera in a portrait view) to focus on eyes/face. I hate the 1sec or so delay to be able to move focus points.
10-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #13

Always centre point, AF.s for static and AF.c for sports.
10-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Depends on what I'm shooting. Most of the time it's AF.S, center point, and recompose if needed. If I'm doing tripod work, I may change the point. If it's sports or a recital, it's AF.C, center point, and crop later. Airshows are AF.C, auto point. All settings subject to change without notice.
10-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Always AF.S and mostly center focus but I'm using the SEL function more & more (I sure wish I could use it with MF lenses!)