Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1, the New Document Preset Resolutions can be changed by going to:Edit:Preferences:Units & Rulers.

Note that the New Document Preset Resolutions are set to:

Print Resolution: 300 pixels/inch
Screen Resolution: 72 pixels/inch

Also, if you have a K-r image and a K100D image open in PS, check the K100D Image size by clicking on: Image, then Image size in the drop down window. Note that under Document size the Width, Height and Resolution. Now, do the same thing to the K-r image and change the Resolution value to the same as the K100D had shown. You'll note that the overall picture file size has decreased by a large factor. From my guess, your PS is using the file size originally from the K100D and applying it to your K-r images.

(sterretje's utube link shows for PS 7.0.1, which is what I used above).

Last edited by chalion; 10-09-2011 at 06:06 AM.
10-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
the program is receiving the file at a lower PPI probably 72 or 96 PPI. These are OK settings to see the photo on the monitor and they do look huge but if you were to print them at those settings you'd see the huge difference and it wouldn't be a pleasant one.
The DPI / PPI doesn't make any difference when viewing on a monitor...
10-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
PPI - Pixels per Inch is the resolution and what you see on your monitor also a way to refer to the recorded pixels of the photograph. An example is your HD TV it can come in 720 or 1080 which is 720 PPI or 1080 PPI.
Gotta correct you on this point. You're confusing lines of resolution, usually referred to with a "p" as in 1080p with ppi, which is pixels per inch. 1080p simply means a screen has a vertical height of 1080 pixels, or lines of resolution. The human eye can only discern about 300 ppi, and applications like Photoshop generally assume about 72 ppi for on-screen viewing. Actual screen ppi varies quite a bit, but your run of the mill monitor is probably between 65 and 130 ppi.

Unless you're shopping for a new monitor, ppi is a pointless measurement. A screen will display images with different ppi settings identically, after all, pixel width by pixel height of an image is constant. ppi just gives you a way to measure how large that will be on a particular screen.
10-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'll try again: Unless you're printing at extreme sizes or to tight specifications, DPI really doesn't matter. I've been using digital image editors for over 20 years and I usually just ignore DPI when dealing with camera output. DPI concerns me when I scan an image, but not when I shoot. Don't sweat it.