Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-r 2X Coverter

I have the Pentax K-r with 18-55 & 50-200 Auto lens.
I also have Non auto lens as used with The now redundent Me Super,
These Lens being: SMC Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm. Soligor C/D Zoom+Macro 60-200 1:4,5 55.
Along with a: hama AUTO TELE CONVERTER 2X For Pentax-K

The price of a Auto 2X converter, is for me extremely expensive for the amount of use it will get,
When purchasing the Pentax DSLR their sales promotion stresses the mount has'nt change
suggesting one can use the manual lenses on the DSLR.

Question: Using the K-r.
Is it possible to insert the manual hama 2X converter between the camera and the Auto or Manual Lenses.
And get results? I have my doubts. Your comments will be appreciated.

Artpart

10-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, your old Pentax bayonet (PK) mount lenses and the TC will work just fine on your Kr. The A50/1.4 is quite desirable and will work in all the Auto-Exposure modes (Av, Sv, Tv, Green) but with manual focus. If the Soligor zoom and the TC have the same contacts on their bases as the A50 does, then they will work the same way. If they lack such contacts, they can still be used in M(anual) exposure mode with the Green button. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html for help on manual lens usage. Have fun!
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

You won't cause any damage by using a K mount Teleconverter. You may find, as I did, that the 2x teleconverters are not as sharp as a half crop on the higher resolution sensors. With my K100D, I compared my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 with a Takumar Auto 2x to a 50% crop with the same lens... and sharpness was much better with the crop. I ended up unscrewing the elements from the teleconverter and using it as an auto extension tube.
10-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi RioRico and Hubcapboy.
Thanks for your assistance. I've had some success, Lens SMC Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm is OK. It has a Green letter "A" proceeding the Distance scale adjacent f22-16 etc. scale.
However, I cannot get the other Lens to work, these being: Soligor C/D Zoom+Macro 80-200. 1:4.5.- Smc Pentax-M zoom 1:3.5 24-35mm. and hama Auto Tele Coverter 2X K.
A little humour! Reading the comments, I noted some gentelman appologised for being an "old man" at 50. I can give him another 34 years. A bit sluggish now and again, main problem, short time memory, will persevere. Long term, no problem. Cheer up "old man" you've a long way to go yet. Cheers Artpart.

10-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #5

With your non-A lenses, are you getting correct exposures without the converter? (I'm investigating whether you're familiar with the "allow aperture ring" setting in the camera menu, and the manual stop-down metering that will be needed with these lenses regardless of whether or not you're using the converter)
10-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi hubcapboy. Thanks for prompt reply. I have used the "hama Auto Tele Converter 2X For Pentax-K "as written on the Lens". Its used for doubling up the distance, ie half the distance. "Camera to Target" 200 coverts to 400. Have used it in the past quite a bit, anywhere between 200 & 400 No good for coverting Auto to Manual or Vis-Versa. Any further help you can give me regarding the use of Manual Lens on the Auto Body K-r. will be appreciated. Thanks. Cheers Artpart.
10-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #7

It sounds like the place you want to start is with getting a proper exposure with a manual (non-A) lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Lenses with the A setting will work in all modes. Lenses without an A setting will work only in M mode, but it is possible to have the camera calculate a correct exposure when you have selected the aperture. There are two levels of pre-A aperture control on manual aperture lenses:

#1 Full Manual: This is how all screwmount lenses will behave, and some manual aperture K mount lenses. When mounted, these lenses will always move the diaphragm as you adjust the aperture ring.

#2 Stop-Down Metering: This is how most, but not all, of the SMC-M series pentax lenses work, and most of the K mount non-A lenses that were produced. This lens will use the same linkage that the later lenses use for aperture control to stop down to the aperture selected on the aperture ring at only two times, either during an exposure, or when you press your depth of field preview button. This allows you to focus with the lens set at it's maximum aperture without racking the aperture ring back and forth between shots.

I used to have a K-r, and it doesn't have a true "depth of field preview" function, but in manual mode one of the buttons near the shutter (maybe green?) will briefly stop down the lens and take a meter reading when you're in M mode. This is what you want to do. If you have a #1 lens mounted, it will simply take a reading at the aperture you have selected. If you have a #2 lens mounted, it will stop the lens down to your selected aperture and then take the reading. Two things are very important to note: This method of metering doesn't require any communication of focal length, maximum aperture of the lens, or selected aperture. It's exactly the same as having the camera watch the needle meter on a K1000, and adjusting shutter speed until it's near the middle. This means you can use any lens that you can get mounted... pinhole, anything you can cobble together and get to focus. It also means that your teleconverter won't affect anything when using stop down metering. The second thing to realize is that you're using the light meter outside of the range that it's calibrated for. The light meter in your K-r is optimized to take a reading on A series and later lenses, where it will usually only have to take readings with an open aperture. In daylight, stop down metering works very well, but accuracy can suffer when taking reading in low light at small apertures.

Another thing to note when using any lenses KA mount and prior is that there is no communication of focal length to the shake reduction system. When you mount a lens that doesn't communicate its focal length to a Pentax DSLR with shake reduction, it will prompt you to enter the focal length. If you skip this step, and don't turn shake reduction off, you will end up with the sensor movement over or under compensating for your movement, and the results will not be as good as you've come to expect using the kit lens, or another lens which communicates it's focal length automatically.

10-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi. Some 8 days since your posting. I'm afraid long intricate details are a problem. At my age my short time memory lets me down, it takes a great effort to digest, however I get there in the end.

With the K-r I have the 18-55 & 50-200 Auto Lens. They satisfy virtually all my needs, however, a manual lens that I have that may be usefull is the:
Manual SMC PENTAX-M ZOOM 1:3.5 24mm~35mm 7008490 ASAHI OPT. CO. Japan. This I find usefull at Parties & Gatherings etc. I'll have to knuckle down and get it to work. Do you foresee any problems? Regarding the doubler, I only used this on rare occasions such as doubling the 200 lens to 400 and taking a town "Seaview" Isle of Wight 12 miles from the mainland, It turned out OK, just a bit Hazy. I will peruse your message as above.
Cheers
Cheers.
10-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Last plea for assistance, "Help". When using the "K-r" with Auto Lens 18-55 and 50-200 all is well. Perfect.
Attaching Manual Lens (SMC Pentax-M Zoom 1:3.5 24mm~35mm) or (SMC Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm), all I get when pressing Button "LV" is: "CANNOT START LIVE VIEW", white letters on a Black Viewing Screen. I will be pleased for help from anyone who can point me in the right direction, enabling me to use these two manual lens on the Pentax K-r.
Cheers Artpart.
01-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #10

You need to change your aperture ring setting in the menu the C > Tab 4 > Using aperture ring 1 and change it to 2
01-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all that have given advice. My main reason for using a manual lens is to use my existing "Manual hama Auto Tele Converter 2X For Pentax-K " with the K-r Pentax 50-200 Lens.
I appreciate the replys given, but unfortunately for me, to get a positive result it has not been a success. Having said that, I managed to get a Polaroid Studio Series 3.5x Super Telephoto Lens among my presents.
I have tried it out, all seems well. Will know better come the spring when we can get down to our Caravan on the UK South Coast.
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xPremium Quote
You need to change your aperture ring setting in the menu the C > Tab 4 > Using aperture ring 1 and change it to 2
Thanks. This has been very helpful.