Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

thinking about trading my K110D for a new K-r ? ?

I like my K110D, but wish it would rapid fire better.

My kids play sports, and sometimes my K110D slows down when I need it to keep shooting.

A few years ago, I did the FIRMWARE upgrade and got a better SD card, and that helped but I still find it lacking.

I stopped at my local camera store and Looked at a K-r today, and like it's ability to shoot several pics very very quickly.

Otherwise, it seemed very similar, and familiar.

They don't sell the body only, just the 18-55 kit. I already have lenses, and noticed the new ones appeared to have PLASTIC mountings instead of metal, like my old lenses ? ? ? ?

Is there any reason not to trade it in, is there anything the K110D does better ?

Maybe I should keep it as a back-up or spare in case one of my kids begin to take more interest in photography

10-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derek45 Quote
Is there any reason not to trade it in, is there anything the K110D does better ?
Not really- I would go ahead and trade it i (or sell it here on the marketplace). The only thing the K110D has over the K-r is the top LCD, but then again the K-r has a much bigger rear LCD with a better interface.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

From a specs standpoint, the K-r blows it away. I can't imagine a reason you'd regret such a significant upgrade. Heck, just the addition of the big screen, Live View and being able to shoot video is a huge difference.
10-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would keep the K110D as a backup. It's built like a tank, the sensor is superb in terms of image quality and you will not likely get a lot of money for it.
You can later decide on selling it depending on how it goes with the new one.

Thanks,

10-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Body only Krs are available on the web.

Then, I ran across this today - a Kr but it appears it is bundled with a 35mm f2.8 lens rather than the kit lens. - YMMV....
PS - the Kr has image stabilization and of course the K110 does not. I too kept my K100 and it is still going strong.

10-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I would keep the K110D as a backup. It's built like a tank, the sensor is superb in terms of image quality and you will not likely get a lot of money for it.
You can later decide on selling it depending on how it goes with the new one.

Thanks,
+1, keep it. Makes for a good back-up.
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't know if...

QuoteOriginally posted by derek45 Quote
I like my K110D, but wish it would rapid fire better.

I stopped at my local camera store and Looked at a K-r today, and like it's ability to shoot several pics very very quickly.
I don't know if you can afford one but the K-5 shutter mechanism is a lot quieter than the K-r's. If you tried out the K-r in a store then you probably know what it sounds like. It does turn heads especially when rapid firing. FYI, I have both cameras and really like them.

Oops, I hope that the mirror floppers won't chime in since I brought up the K-5.

Last edited by lammie200; 10-13-2011 at 01:30 PM.
10-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Get the K-r. I take it to bull ridings, and the pictures come out great. It shoots fast. I kept my old camera(s) - man, I have three camera bodies. Can anyone say hoarder?
10-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

I actually went from a K110D to a white K-r earlier this year. I'm quite happy. I will say that I didn't realize how much I relied on the top LCD; in bright sun it can be hard to see the numbers in the viewfinder, but I'm mostly used to it now. I agree with the PP that said the shutter is a bit noisy. It doesn't bother me, per se, but when I had it next to my father's K-7, it was pretty evident. I'm still quite pleased with it, my husband likes it too.

ETA: The only thing I think I really preferred about the K110D was the way it fit in my hand. I've got long fingers but still have a small hand, and the way my lower fingers grip for leverage wears my hand out faster than the K110D did. I sold one before getting the other and never compared them side by side, so I can't tell you what about the grip was different, but in the overall scheme of things, it's still minor for me.
02-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
My amazing wife got me a K-r from adorama for Valentine's Day.

Life is good.

I decided to keep my old K110D