Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

factors to use in k-r camera bag

I need a camera bag for my K-r what do others use? I have two lens the 18-50 and the 50-200mm. What factors to consider in picking one out? How anal do people get over bags?

I guess the first is will my lens and camera fit (lol)? But what else needs to be considered?

10-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest you buy at a store. Look for zippers that may scratch the camera. I suggest getting one that holds everything now (body, lenses, charger, spare stuff) as you may get some more equipment and will need a place for it. Eventually you will likely outgrow the smaller bag and get a larger bag, but the smaller bag will be handy for specific outings with just a lens or two, and a snack.

I like Tamrac, and their website has pretty decent diagrams.
10-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you can fit in to the bag. sorry could not resist
I have two bags I use. Depending on what I want or need to take. I have a Pentax sling bag that I generally carry. In it is a body and one or two lenses. along with essentials like spare batteries, film. SD cards, etc. nice for walks or hikes. My larger Zooms 80-200 will not fit in it if I carry a body in it . when I want to carry more or larger lenses along with a abodyI carry a Quantaray Bag. it can be carried over the shoulder or with the handle. It is heavier but can carry a body with lens and two large Zooms . plus necessities.. It is harder to get the gear out quickly than the sling bag.
I usually carry a*ist DL and a film camera so one body is in the sling bag while the other is being used. easy to switch out the bodies with it's design. I believe the best thing would be to decide what you need the bag to do and what needs to fit into it then go shopping . I actually went to camera shops and tried most of what I needed to fit into it . They didn't mind letting me do it. The sling bag I won on e-bay for$ .99 with free shipping and it was new. After having and using it I just wish I had gotten one sooner. I do nature ,street and landscape so it fits my needs.
The larger bag has straps on the bottom to carry a tripod but I don't find it very secure
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There's no one solution, but I like this:
Lowepro | Passport Sling
Fits K7 with 55-300 on the camera plus a couple of smaller lenses and room for a bit of lunch or shopping in an expandable section, plus some small filters or memory cards. Can fit a water bottle in the outside pocket which is vital. Doesn't look like a camera bag either. The little padding on the strap is dopey and it's more comfortable after removing it. Not much padding except in the camera holder bit, however, so I carry my spare lenses in their cases.
I also have a larger crumpler bag if I'm carrying "EVERYTHING" and a smaller bag if just the camera and one lens.

10-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

A friend swears by crumpler. Has a 10-year old laptop bag that looks 2 years old. I picked one up for my brother based on that and whenever I get around to buying a flash, I'll get one too. My brother got the 6 million dollar home. I'll probably get the 5 million.

They have pictures on their website showing how much gear fits in each bag.
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #6

Some considerations I keep in mind as I've searched for the perfect (i.e. non-existent) camera bag:
  1. Usage: Will it work well for walkaround? Traveling? Hiking?
  2. Carry Type: Backpack, Sling, or Shoulder? (I really only like backpack style bags, even for a small kit and walkaround.)
  3. Volume: Does it carry everything I need (which may vary depending on intended usage)?
  4. Organization: Does it hold the stuff (both camera and non-camera related) I want to carry in a way that makes sense and is usable for me? (I tend to prefer a dedicated non-camera space and lots of smaller pockets and pouches and such rather than big catch-all spaces.)
  5. Access: Can I easily access my gear (obviously also ties into usage and carry type)? (I prefer easy on-the-go access to the camera in-bag for swift removal and return; I'm less concerned about easy on-the-go access to extra gear, like other lenses, flash, etc.)
  6. Protection: Does it offer reasonable protection (padding, weather resistance) for my intended usage?
  7. Quality of Materials / Workmanship: Is it a cheapo bag that will fall apart quickly, or will it prove durable (obviously dependent in part on usage)?
  8. Design / Colors: Do I like the colors and/or does it scream "Expensive Photo Gear Inside!"? (I prefer simple styling, dark or dull colors, minimal branding, understated design.)
  9. Budget: self-explanatory.

So far, the bag that suits my preferences best (but is still far from my "perfect" bag): Lowepro Fastpack 200 / 250, and I'm thinking about a 100 for lighter travel and walkaround.
10-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Karen Nakamura has an interesting comment and a page on bags:
QuoteQuote:
I'm also a big fan of diaper bags for my day bags. They're cheap, capacious, have tons of pockets, have fold out changing sheets, and thieves seem to avoid them like the plague.
!!!!!

Last edited by calsan; 10-09-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: link wrong
10-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As said, how you tend to use it is important. Although you might not have much gear currently, you might add in future (e.g. a flash and/or extra lens). Also you need space for cleaning stuff (rocket blower, lens wipes) and other odd bits and pieces (charger, memory cards, ...). Take what you have to a shop and see how it fits; don't buy too small.

You want quick access to your gear? In that case a backpack might not be the best option; I find them more suitable to carry stuff to a location. Shoulderbags tend to slip of my shoulder and become uncomfortable after a while for me (probably because I put too much gear in). No experience with sling bags, so can't talk about pros and cons.

My prefered bag for walks is a 'hipster' and I use a Lowepro offtrail 2 (it's currently my general purpose bag as well); I have two lenses in one of the pouches (if not too extreme in width or length)) and one on the camera body. Leaves one pouch for charger, rocket blower etc. It will even fit an AF540 flash in one of the pouches if necessary. Some space for flat objects like memory cards, body / rear cap, spare battery / batteries.

Advantage is that I can carry it on the hip with the camera easily accessible. Disadvantage is that it interferes with a normal (e.g. 50L) hiking backpack.

By the way, long ago I read a test of bags and the bags got tested the following way:
Put glass jars in the bag and drop it down the stairs. Broken jar means good chance on damaged camera or damaged lens.
Put it under the shower; give zips and seams a little extra treat of water. Water inside the bag implies that it's not water proof / resistant.

So you know what to do in the shop (ask for glass jars, showers and stairs)

10-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Put glass jars in the bag and drop it down the stairs. Broken jar means good chance on damaged camera or damaged lens.
If anyone actually does this, I would strongly recommend putting the jars in plastic bags first. Glass dust and shards would ruin the bag forever.

The water test sounds like a good idea though, so you at least know for sure where you're at with it.
10-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter

You will want a bag that has room for future equipment you may buy (lenses, flash, wireless triggers, cleaning supplies). The hardest decision will be the style of bag. This website lets you compare makes and styles.

Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
10-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for info everyone. I realized after posting message I might be able to use my timbuk2 bag. I do not have alot of equipment as of now. But am thinking about a insert?

I will see if I can find a camera store, these seem rare where I live and try out inserts if they carry them.

Ya it might be a waste of money but for now it might be a cheap way to go. I might look for a collaspeable insert if they are made.
10-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #12

the sling that pentax actually has works AMAZING for me .. i dont have much that go in there, but still haha