any idea what is causing this ?

Attached Images

10-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Im afraid thats a sensor problem.
Try a different card...I dont know
10-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ouch. Looks like you're going to need to get it serviced. I'd concur that it looks like a sensor issue, but it could also be the main board itself, that processes the sensor data.

You're not using any weird filters with your lens? Just a thought.
10-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
its got an old uv filter on it.

most shots are ok i think its just high iso where this happens.

I think i'll do some testing with different raw modes and jpeg and with and without the uv filter and see what happens.

thankfully its still under warranty.

10-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

UV filter won't be doing you any good, unless you're shooting in flying sand or salt. It'd be best to just leave it off entirely while testing this (if not permanently).

Maybe do a series of test shots, stepping up the ISO each time. See where the problem appears. Also try turning off high ISO noise reduction, if it isn't already. Resetting the camera to factory defaults and testing again would be a good idea too.

Sadly, I don't think any of this is likely to help, except maybe to let you provide Pentax with more info when you send it in. It really looks like a hardware problem.
10-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Canon point and shoot that did the same thing only in a much, much worse capacity. Its actually partly what indirectly led me to getting my K-x, since I wanted to upgrade for when my child was born to a better camera.

EDIT: FWIW, I'd taken my Canon to the beach and it was subjected to some fairly damp conditions for a bit prior to doing this, as well as a lot of long exposures above and beyond what the camera was supposed to do via a camera hack thats available for the Powershots that allow one to shoot in raw, bracket, etc.
10-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I have a Canon point and shoot that did the same thing only in a much, much worse capacity. Its actually partly what indirectly led me to getting my K-x, since I wanted to upgrade for when my child was born to a better camera.

EDIT: FWIW, I'd taken my Canon to the beach and it was subjected to some fairly damp conditions for a bit prior to doing this, as well as a lot of long exposures above and beyond what the camera was supposed to do via a camera hack thats available for the Powershots that allow one to shoot in raw, bracket, etc.
the k-r is fairly new less than 6months old and has been well looked after.

i'll will do some more tests and then take back to the shop.

10-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
right tried a new card and removed the uv filter and reset all the settings.

still the same on all ISO but worse on high.

I'll take it back to London Camera Exchage
10-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar problem with my k-r, I have send it to service, send it then to Germany where they replace the sensor, I think. Anyway, now I don't have any problem with my k-r. Good luck!