Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Getting a used manual len will it work?

I recently saw advertised a Asahi Smc Pentax M 1:3.5 135 mm lens on the internet. The ad said used and I asked the guy if it would work on my K-r. He said he did not know since he does not have a dslr but if I have a pentax it should work on it.

So my question is I tired to look in my manual and I believe it should work right? I think I have to make a adjustment in the custom menu since it is a manual lens. The cost is below $50 for the lens.

Since it is a older lens will it come on and off correctly on my camera? Are there any things I should know about before attaching it to my camera. I saw a lens on ebay where it was older and the ad there mention that you might have to take a pin out so the lens does not get stuck on the camera.

What do people think about this lens?

10-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As it is an M series lens, it will work only in manual focus and manual exposure. That said, the magic green button will set your exposure for you based on the metering program line you have set. It will mount and dismount just like a brand new lens. In the menus you will need to enable use of the aperture ring. I have no idea why this is not enabled by default, but there you go. So it works like this: set your lens to some aperture or other, such as f/8. Point the camera with lens at the subject you will to capture and press the green button. This will make a bit of noise as it closes down the lens aperture to take a reading and set the shutter speed for you. Now focus the lens on the subject and press the shutter release. If you have the camera in AF.S (single AF) it won't fire until the camera detects focus. Turn the ring slowly - if you go too fast, you can overshoot by the time the camera reacts.

Now go to the sticky at the top of the beginners forum, and read the details behind the above paragraph. I used the 135/3.5 for years to take soccer photos and was published in newspapers. You would have a fine lens.
10-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
As it is an M series lens, it will work only in manual focus and manual exposure. That said, the magic green button will set your exposure for you based on the metering program line you have set. It will mount and dismount just like a brand new lens. In the menus you will need to enable use of the aperture ring. I have no idea why this is not enabled by default, but there you go. So it works like this: set your lens to some aperture or other, such as f/8. Point the camera with lens at the subject you will to capture and press the green button. This will make a bit of noise as it closes down the lens aperture to take a reading and set the shutter speed for you. Now focus the lens on the subject and press the shutter release. If you have the camera in AF.S (single AF) it won't fire until the camera detects focus. Turn the ring slowly - if you go too fast, you can overshoot by the time the camera reacts.

Now go to the sticky at the top of the beginners forum, and read the details behind the above paragraph. I used the 135/3.5 for years to take soccer photos and was published in newspapers. You would have a fine lens.
Ok thanks for info. I think I will have to read about the green button more. But you do not think I will have to worry or take a pin out. I went to another tutorial here and saw some guy with a power hacksaw sawing his lens loose lol. It appears that it worked but saw a post to about the richo pin removal too. It seems I should be ok if I get this lens.
10-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens is a Pentax lens, and does not have the worrisome pin. Put it on your camera and enjoy it.

10-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You should find this lens produces very nice results, as well.
10-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is some additional information on the lens from the Forum's lens data base. Its a good lens, you should be very happy with it. I have used M lenses before it there are no problems, just mount the lens and follow the directions that Canadian Rockies has provided. The lens tends to show a bit of CA, however you can use the post processing software to easily remove this. Also, Asahi Optical Company was Pentax before they adopted the Pentax name for the entire company. Your price was also pretty good..... Enjoy the lens!!
10-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This might be of interest: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

10-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good lens, good price. I spent almost US$70 on mine a few months ago. It's very small for a 135, light-weight, sharp, has a built-in hood. I use it in M(anual) mode with Green button on my K20D. Follow the directions given above, have a little patience, and it will serve you well.
10-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I want to say thanks to all for the information. It is very helpful for me. Since I need to stop watching tv and get into some other hobby. I am new to photography.
10-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atomic Quote
I want to say thanks to all for the information. It is very helpful for me. Since I need to stop watching tv and get into some other hobby. I am new to photography.
Another question if I see a pentax older lens on ebay and the seller described it as having a k mount. Will I need an adaptor to put on my k-r? What if it is a old sears pentax lens or seller said it will work on a pentax camera and describe as having a k mount? Are sears lens any good?
10-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

All Pentax DSLRs, including the K-r, use the K mount. It's the term for the Pentax bayonet mount, and yes, all* K mount lenses will work as they should on your K-r.

Remember that old manual lenses will still be old manual lenses (manual focus, manual aperture) on your K-r, but they will be stabilized and you will be able to properly meter with the green button.

*Note that old Ricoh lenses may have an extra pin, which needs to be removed before attaching the lens to your DSLR. It will jam, and be a pain to remove, but the pin removal is easy once you're aware of it. Also, a few old Vivitar lenses have an aperture guard that's too big. These lenses won't mount until that ring is cut down or removed, but removal is very easy (two lil screws).
10-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Remember that old manual lenses will still be old manual lenses (manual focus, manual aperture) on your K-r, but they will be stabilized and you will be able to properly meter with the green button.
Pentax or Asahi Optical Company (as they were known prior to changing their name to Pentax) has had 2 mounts - the M42 screw mount and the K or K bayonet mount. The M42 screw mount requires an adapter. There are a number of adapters available, however the original Pentax adapter is best since you are guaranteed focus at infinity.

Take a look at the lens database here on the Forum:Also, there is this...
10-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atomic Quote
Another question if I see a pentax older lens on ebay and the seller described it as having a k mount. Will I need an adaptor to put on my k-r? What if it is a old sears pentax lens or seller said it will work on a pentax camera and describe as having a k mount? Are sears lens any good?
As the posters above said, all K-mount lenses will fit on your Kr and our other dSLRs. The exceptions: some few lenses marked Vivitar that have an oversize aperture guard. And some few lenses with the Ricoh pin. Both can be removed as described.

The K-mount has a number of variations:
  • KM or PKM: On K-series lenses (which only say Pentax SMC) and M-series lenses (like M50/1.7), is only a mechanical aperture link. Use these in M(anual) mode.
  • KA or PKA: On A-series lenses (like A50/1.4) there are also electrical contacts on the lens base, allowing the aperture to be controlled from the camera.
  • KR or K/R (but not KAR, which is Konica): On Ricoh-compatible lenses is also the bothersome Ricoh pin or the harmless Ricoh button. More on this below.
  • Autofocus (full-frame): On F- and FA- and FAJ-series lenses (like F35-70) is also a hole for the AF drive screw. This hole is what a Ricoh pin can get caught in.
  • Autofocus (APS-C): On DA- and DAL- and DFA-series lenses (like the DA18-55) are all the above, but without an aperture ring. Can only be used on APS-C dSLRs.
  • K-zero: These have no aperture linkage at all, just the K-mount bayonets. This mount is mostly seen on adapters, macro tubes and bellows, and some mirror lenses.
Like Vivitar, Sears contracted with various lensmakers. Many different models of some lenses exist; I know of at least 6 versions of a Sears Auto 135/2.8. Some Sears lenses are extremely good. I have never encountered a bad Sears lens, and I now own 8 and have sold another 10. Focal (K-Mart) contracted with many of the same lensmakers. The Focal-brand lenses I've encountered are about as good as Sears, but with a more limited selection. I own 4. All the Sears and Focal A-type lenses I've seen are KR-mount, with the safe Ricoh button.

KR lenses can also be distinguished by the markings on the aperture ring. A Pentax A-type lens has an A (for AutoAperture) next to the 22 mark. A Rikenon (Ricoh) lens has a P there (they call the mode Program, not AutoAperture) and may have the bothersome pin. The Sears and Focal KR lenses I've seen have an A(P) marking there, and only have the safe Ricoh button.

All the KA and KR and F and FA and DA lenses have electrical contacts on the lens base, to transmit aperture information and control, making flash use easy, and storing the aperture information in a picture's EXIF data. These lenses are easy to use. For the other K-mount types, see the USING MANUAL LENSES link provided above. Have fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 10-22-2011 at 10:49 AM.