Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Viewfinder Magnifier - Who uses them and how do you like them?

Over the weekend I fiddled for a few moments with a fellas Nikon D3. I was greatly amazed at how big & bright the view finder is. I know, we are talking high end professional/full frame camera. Now I wish for more viewfinder out of my KR.

Do magnifiers work?
Do they just make everything bigger? Does it make my viewfinder bottom display bigger?
Does it lessen my coverage? (Kr is 96% without a magnifier, so do I lose any more)
Does it make it any dimmer?
What models do you use/recommend and how do they look on the camera, not looking for anything that protrudes out the back?

10-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #2

I'm lucky I haven't used anything buy my K-x as it's all I know, lol.
10-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use what is effectively a magnifier, a +3 Diopter but that is to compensate for my -3 Eye works great IMO, a magnifier will not give you the bigger brighter better VF of a FF or 35mm camera though.
I couldn't focus without wearing my reading glasses if i didn't have the diopter
apparently you lose some coverage with the ome 1.3X
I don't find mine noticeably dimmer
10-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ME-053 Magnifier

QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
Over the weekend I fiddled for a few moments with a fellas Nikon D3. I was greatly amazed at how big & bright the view finder is. I know, we are talking high end professional/full frame camera. Now I wish for more viewfinder out of my KR.

Do magnifiers work?
Do they just make everything bigger? Does it make my viewfinder bottom display bigger?
Does it lessen my coverage? (Kr is 96% without a magnifier, so do I lose any more)
Does it make it any dimmer?
What models do you use/recommend and how do they look on the camera, not looking for anything that protrudes out the back?
I use the genuine Pentax ME-053 magnifier.

Yes it works.

Makes everything bigger.

Not sure what you mean about lessening coverage.

I don't think that it makes it dimmer.

It protrudes slightly more than the stock eyecup. That helps with keeping your nose from smushing up against the lcd screen.

I like it. I put it on right away without even shooting with the standard set up though, so I can't compare to stock very accurately. There are some reviews on this site, however.

Last edited by lammie200; 06-14-2012 at 08:33 PM.
10-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently bought one for my K20D after two years with the standard. I wish I had bought it a lot sooner.

It makes focusing manually much easier (I have a third party split prism focus screen). I also like that it gives a bit more room for my nose.

The only minor negative is that it is a bit more difficult to see the display readout on the viewfinder, but that's better now that I'm getting used to where to position my eye. The coverage is not less that I notice, but you have to work a little to see the edges.
10-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The O-ME53 made a huge difference for manual focussing with my K-x. No downside IMO, certainly no loss in brightness and I can read the data in the VF just fine. I haven't tried it on my K20. I've heard it covers the smaller viewfinders like K-x, K-r, K100D, etc better than the larger K10, K20, K-7, K-5.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-24-2011 at 02:46 PM.
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far. If I wanted the Pentax ME-053 where would I go about purchasing one. None on Ebay or Amazon, B&H Sold Out, not hits when using google shopping..

10-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies so far. If I wanted the Pentax ME-053 where would I go about purchasing one. None on Ebay or Amazon, B&H Sold Out, not hits when using google shopping..
The correct name is O-ME53. B&H had the best price a few months ago when I was shopping, but it appears there are none on the shelf ATM.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=o-me53&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

$50 USD at Pentax Imaging

PentaxWebstore.com: Magnifying Eyepiece O-ME53

If you can't find it anywhere else.
10-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The correct name is O-ME53. B&H had the best price a few months ago when I was shopping, but it appears there are none on the shelf ATM.

o-me53
Thanks for the correct name, now I am finding them. Most places seem to be sold out though or charge 50$ plus. Is this the only magnifier I should be looking at?
10-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I want something to help me manual focusing in dificult situations. Do you guys recomend me a focusing screen or a viewfinder magnifier?
A focusing screen looks like a miracle to manual focus...but there are alot of problems...people say its darker than the stock one, you gotta put shims and test, bla bla bla...
I would like to hear some comments about that DD
Thanks
10-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

There are others...

Thanks for the correct name, now I am finding them. Most places seem to be sold out though or charge 50$ plus. Is this the only magnifier I should be looking at?
Viewfinder Attachments (Third-Party) - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
10-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Also, just 1 more thing.
A 1.36 magnifier will help manual focus with a 50mm f1.7 (thin dof)?
Thanks
10-24-2011, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

It might...

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Also, just 1 more thing.
A 1.36 magnifier will help manual focus with a 50mm f1.7 (thin dof)?
Thanks
It might help but I think that a better focusing screen will help more. I have the lens that you are referring. My eyes aren't too bad (yet.) I can get decent focus most of the time, but I am considering changing the focus screen to make it easier. You might want to check the threads on focusing screens.

Last edited by lammie200; 06-14-2012 at 08:31 PM.
10-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah, i'll do that. Gotta find a good focusing screen tho...anyway, i'll search
My eyes are not a problem yet, im 14 years old hahaha...
Thanks