Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

cheap flash for my k-r

Iv got a £50 budget for a flash any suggestion please

10-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have a specific suggestion for you, but I'll point you to this page, where you can see at a glance which older flash units are considered safe, or dangerous to your K-r. It's a good list to print out and keep in your bag if you're likely to encounter used flash units for sale when out and about.
10-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you dont mind manual only, the yongnuo yn560 and yn460ii are pretty good for the price
10-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to search on DealExtreme.com. Very cheap every thing.

10-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harmi2009 Quote
Try to search on DealExtreme.com. Very cheap every thing.
Actually, if thats ok i would like to recommend another website :
FocalPrice.com
It's like DealExtreme, but the service is MUCH MUCH better. They ship the item faster, they've got a great costumer service, etc.
10-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
if you dont mind manual only, the yongnuo yn560 and yn460ii are pretty good for the price
voting for Youngnuo too. Swivel head, diffusor, reflector, zoom. Almost everything like in the senior league except PTTL. But there is no PTTL for £50 anyway
10-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
I don't no much about flashers what's the difference you said manual only

10-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NoMaD_PS Quote
voting for Youngnuo too. Swivel head, diffusor, reflector, zoom. Almost everything like in the senior league except PTTL. But there is no PTTL for £50 anyway
I could you please tell me what PTTL means cheers
10-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by safc Quote
I don't no much about flashers what's the difference you said manual only
That you really have to think about configuring the flash before taking a shot, each and every time. It's not that complicated; read the K-r manual (section about flash) for the relationship between guide number, aperture and subject distance. It might even become second nature.

But I would suggest a flash that has at least an automatic mode (where the flash will do measurements to determine correct exposure and not likely overexpose). Can't advise on any as I haven't looked at flashes for ages so I don't know what is available in your price range.

// edit
ttl means 'through the lens'; the camera will determine correct exposure and tell the flash to stop emitting light when correct exposure is 'expected'. It's basically the above mentioned auto mode, but done by the camera.

With p-ttl the camera instructs the flash to emit light (the pre-flash) so the camera can do some calculations. This happens before the actual image is taken.
10-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Actually, if thats ok i would like to recommend another website :
FocalPrice.com
It's like DealExtreme, but the service is MUCH MUCH better. They ship the item faster, they've got a great costumer service, etc.
I don't now FocalPrice.com but I will see. Thanks the tipp.
10-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheers for the great info
10-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Will this flash work on my k-r AF280T
10-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Why don't you learn how to search: click on "Search the forums..." (upper right corner); then for "keywords," type in: "flash af280t"; then for "Search in Forum(s)," choose "Pentax Flashes and Lighting Technique"; then click on "Search Now" at the bottom of the form.

You'll get more info than you can read in a night.
10-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Why don't you learn how to search: click on "Search the forums..." (upper right corner); then for "keywords," type in: "flash af280t"; then for "Search in Forum(s)," choose "Pentax Flashes and Lighting Technique"; then click on "Search Now" at the bottom of the form.

You'll get more info than you can read in a night.
I will do cheers for that am just new to the site
10-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #15

cheap flashes

For the benefit of others who have little experience with flashes:

They fall into three categories - basic Manual flash - these emit a fixed amount of light and the camera has to be set to work with the flash. Unlikely that these are made anymore and I wouldn't bother to look for second had ones as the next type is better.

The next type is automatic flash - these have a light sensor built into the front of the flash, which measures the light being reflected back from the scene and swtiches the flash off when it has detected enough light.

These are easier to use than manual flashes - you set the camera to flash shutter speed and select an Aperture size based on guidelines provided by the flash unit - this depends on the iso speed you set in the camera. Therafter you can take well exposed pictures within a predetermined range of distances.

There are many of these units on the second hand market but they wont all work with your camera - you have to read the guide list that was referenced above to find those that can work with your camera - the issue is voltage matching between camera and flash unit and if you get it wrong, you fry your camera circuits.

The third type is the 'Through the Lens' (TTL) exposure metering type. These flash units are the most expensive because they are matched with your specific type of camera e.g. a unit made for Nikon won't work with a Pentax.

They also have additional features that make them desirable for professional photographers.

For amateurs, a second hand auto flash is the cheapest way to get a decent flash that will produce reliably lit images, once you know how to use it. These auto flash units can work across camera brands e.g. I use a Nikon SB22 with my Pentax KR and get great results. Nikon makes excellent flash units and the second hand models such as the SB22 or 26 or 28 all make very good units to have in your camera bag.