Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Kr firmware update question

I have yet to download either of the firmware upgrades and I am wanting to knoiw if I have to upgrade both or can I simply download the latest? OR! Should I leave well enough alone and stick with the original?

10-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The latest update includes the contents of all the previous updates.

Here is the download link & instructions: New Firmware v1.11 Confirmed - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The latest update includes the contents of all the previous updates.

Here is the download link & instructions: New Firmware v1.11 Confirmed - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
I just got my mine a month ago too and wanted to ask this question. So how can I figure out what version I have what menu do I go to see the verison?
10-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Forum Member

Before turning the camera on, press and hold the Menu button and the version will be displayed on the LED on the back.

10-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

I updated firmware on my prior cameras, but I'm just wondering about doing so on my K-r. I don't care anything about GPS compatibility and my K-r seems fine that I can tell. Does everyone update theirs? I should say that before with a different brand there was always a compelling reason to update. I got my K-r in August.
11-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Forum Member

Sometime the firmware is made available to fix issues, and sometimes to add features such as GPS tagging. I am a believer that newer is (generally) better, but also don't hop on the site the instant it is available. I wait a bit to make sure that if there are issues, they are sorted out before I decide to do the update. These are not like the days gone by for computer BIOS where the changes could render the BIOS useless unless reflashed. I have upgraded several times (my K-r and previous K200d) and found no issues with it.
11-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've never heard of anyone bricking their K-r. I mean it's technically a non-zero risk, but if you follow the instructions, make sure the battery is fully charged, you'll be just fine. Wait patiently while it updates, it takes a bit longer than you might think (especially if you're sitting there worrying about it). IIRC there was an AF tweak in one of the earlier updates, so that alone makes it worth updating to latest on a new camera.

11-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks for your answers. The reason I asked is I seem to have gotten one of the very good, problem-free K-r's and didn't want to mess that up. I have updated prior cameras. Usually they were to fix a specific issue, but I will update my K-r.
11-16-2011, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
This is a list of all the firmware updates in case anyone is looking for them and want to know what exactly is fixed. And rememebr installing 1.11 inclueds all the previous version fixes.

Changes to V1.11

• Corrected method for obtain GPS data when developing RAW images that is contain GPS data on Version 1.10.*If you have already updated to Version1.10, we are very sorry for this inconvenience. Please update to Version 1.11.
Changes to V1.10

• Correspond to GPS unit [O-GPS1]
Changes to V1.03

• Improved the accuracy of auto focus in low-intensity light condition.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
Changes to V1.02

• Compatible with SDXC memory card. * Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class.
  • All ISO sensitivity setting can be used on Bulb mode.
  • Improved functional sequence for Contrast AF and improved total speed until in focus.
Changes to V1.01

• Increases the number of continuous shot at RAW format and High sensitivity shooting.* Ex. Setting condition: RAW/ISO100, Increases the number of continuous shot from maximum approx. 8 frames to approx. 20 frames.
  • Improved stability for general performance such as exposure range on HyP mode
11-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks very much. That is very helpful. I will certainly update mine.