Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Thinking of getting a K-r...

I just want to clarify a few things about the body. Can a M42 lens focus to infinity with a Pentax K to M42 adapter without optic in adapter? And these q's apply when using a manual lens only. How is metering done with this body and manual lens? Can you shoot video? Will you get image stabilization? HDR? I may get a K-r instead of Nikon 2nd body because it offers alot for the $$$ and I know M42 lenses cannot focus to infinity on Nikon bodies.

10-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LightMeter Quote
Can a M42 lens focus to infinity with a Pentax K to M42 adapter without optic in adapter?
Yes! There are two types of adapters, one that allows focus to infinity, and a wider flange one that doesn't. Just select for the first type.

How is metering done with this body and manual lens?
M mode and green button is the best way. It will also take a stab at metering in Av, but it isn't very accurate, so best to use M mode. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Can you shoot video? Will you get image stabilization? HDR?
Yes, yes and yes. Video is limited to 720p. Shake reduction works on all lenses, new or old. In camera HDR is available.

Further reading: Pentax K-r Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Pentax K-r - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras
10-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WOW, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself. HDR in camera auto 3 exposure works with a M42 lens when in manual, I just assumed the camera needed an "A" type lens to adjust the exposure but with the 42mm lens mounted it used shutter speed changes to accomplish the exposure changes. COOL

Hans
10-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Looks like the K-r will be a good spring 2012 project if it hasn't been discontinued by that time. Does it do trap focus with MF lenses? And what about CW and spot metering with MF lens-don't care about matrix.

10-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes, Focus trap / Catch in Focus works with center point focus sensor. Fantastic for those macro shots on a windy day. AFAIK Metering is spot only for K/M lens types.

10-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
AFAIK Metering is spot only for K/M lens types.

So no CW with manual lenses?
10-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can use both center weighted and spot with manual lenses. Just no support for multi-segment.