Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sending my K-r in for FF (Not Tungsten Issue)

My camera seems to have a bad front focus issue regardless of the lighting. I tested it under warm CFLs and daylight and it was the same. My camera does have the problem under tungsten light, which makes it much much worse, using TWB helps there, but the FF is still bad in general. I have to make a -10 adjustment under the CFL(TWB) and a -8 adjustment under daylight conditions. I checked to see if it was the lens, but the lens is spot on on my K100D. It is really noticeable at F1.4. By F2.0 it becomes acceptable, but my photos have been softer than I'd like on many shots, F2.8+ can be really sharp. I tested another lens and the issue is consistent. So should I just send in the body? Or do I need to send in a lens also? I seem to have isolated it as a body issue. I called Pentax and they said to just send the body, but I know many have sent in their lenses as well.

Last edited by kenafein; 10-28-2011 at 11:19 AM.
10-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Forum Member

On October 1st, I sent my K-r and kit lens both in for a similar issue, along with the e-dial not operating consistently, and the built-in flash not operating consistently as well. My focus issue was with the kit lens as well as a 50mm prime lens and an 18mm prime, so could have just sent the body, but decided to include the lens just to be safe. It was put on Parts Backorder on the 19th so I don't have an ETA on the repair, but I assume they much have found something since it wasn't quickly repaired then sent back. No mention was made on the repair site when I might expect it. It was a warranty repair.
10-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've sent mine in with the body and kit lens for the e-dial and FF issue. It took them about two weeks to get everything done and back to me. They take inventory of everything that you send in and will put it in your work order. You'll need to email them to get a customer # and the work order # to get online status updates. Here's what they listed in the repair description after I got the camera back.

On the K-r:
Completed focus adjustments
Adjusted to manufacturers specifications
Repaired e-dial
General check and clean
Checked updated firmware
Reset all
Pentax recommends using tungsten setting. Auto white balance is only available in auto picture mode.

On the 18-55mm:
Adjusted to manufacturers specifications
General check and clean

That was back in July. SInce then, the camera has been sent back to CRIS because the pop-up flash stopped working. It's been in repair since 10/17 with parts on hold since 10/25.