Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Flash for Kr

I know absolutely nothing about Flash, so my first question is, does anyone know of any good sites where I can learn about the basics?

My second question is, are there any good flashes for under $100? I'm hoping to get something as close to automatic (not even sure if that's the correct way to state it) as possible. I'm sure that's not completely realistic, but I really don't have the budget to spend hundreds of dollars. I just want something that will make it as easy to use as possible.

Thanks.

10-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the basics in flash photography, perhaps a read here would be a good start :

Flash Photography Made Simple
10-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
One of the flash units I own and use for the Pentax is a Sigma EF-530 DG St which in the Pentax version is fully TTL compatible and I paid Aus$ 99.00, if you can find it in the states at or below $ 100.00 it is not a bad unit for the price.

Good luck.
10-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dk_photos2009 Quote
One of the flash units I own and use for the Pentax is a Sigma EF-530 DG St which in the Pentax version is fully TTL compatible and I paid Aus$ 99.00, if you can find it in the states at or below $ 100.00 it is not a bad unit for the price.

Good luck.
Only Sigma I could find that matched your model was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-EF-530-Electronic-Flash-Canon/dp/B000UH2K56/ref=...0106610&sr=8-3

I'm assuming this wouldn't work on a Pentax?

10-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There are plenty of options for less than $100 if you're willing to buy used. Some examples are mentioned in this thread and this thread and other threads referred to wherein.
11-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
There are plenty of options for less than $100 if you're willing to buy used. Some examples are mentioned in this thread and this thread and other threads referred to wherein.
I have no problem buying used. I have had trouble finding some of these good deals that everyone is talking about. I don't know if I'm always just late to the party.
11-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hi All. I have the K-r. I also have a Flash Unit: HI-BORN 635. Thyrister Zoom/Bounce.
Pentax Operating Manual Page 180. Using an External Flash (Optional) Quote:- CAUTION (at the bottom of the page.) Flashes with reverse Polarity (The centre contact on the Hot Shoe is MINUS) Cannot be used due to the riskof damagine the Camera and Flash: Unquote
This in my opinion is a Super Flash. Question: How does one check to determing whether or not the centre contact is as required: Positive?
Thanks in anticipation: Artpart
11-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

All recent (as "made in the last 30 years") flashes have correct polarity.

To measure trigger voltage:

- Let the flash charged up until ready (pilot lamp on).

- Measure the DC voltage between the center pin of the foot (sync. signal, positive, red arrow in the photo below) and a terminal on either side (ground, green arrow).

- The reading on the volt meter is the trigger voltage. If the reading is positive (no minus sign), the flash has correct polarity.

11-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I have no problem buying used. I have had trouble finding some of these good deals that everyone is talking about.
Define "good deals."

Is $50 for a Sunpak 444D or a Pentax AF280T a good deal? If so, there are plenty of good deals around.
11-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Only Sigma I could find that matched your model was this one: Amazon.com: Sigma EF-530 DG ST Electronic Flash for Canon DSLR: Camera & Photo

I'm assuming this wouldn't work on a Pentax?
You're correct that one is for Canon cameras.

The one you need is for Pentax & Samsung cameras.
11-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I am using my old flashes from my ME super, They are a Pentax AF160Sa, AF200t and a Sunpak 30DX. The Pentax flashes control my camera aperture, the Sunpak must be used in manual but has auto flash power control, The trigger voltage (per others tests) are OK. The old auto flashes work fine with the camera in manual, you just set ISO, aperture, and shutter speed and the flash provides proper light output within the flashes range.

Hans
11-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Good question, and I'll be following this also, as I'm about to make a flash purchase. I floated a question here and received some really good feedback. My simple take on the responses is that flash price is a function of power, features, quality/reliability, and support. Very generally, the first most common "need" that I see wanted in a flash is both tilt and swivel capability. The next major increment is high speed sync (so you can shoot a flash photo at a shutter speed faster than 1/180) - but flashes with that option appear to cost about $100 more than flashes with similar capabilities but no HSS. From all the reviews I hardly ever read anyone complaining about the power level of the flash they bought.

FYI, here is a link to the thread (I think - I've never copied/pasted a thread link here before):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/164968-...h-options.html

Best wishes sorting it all out from all the fine options.

Glenn
11-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks SOldBear, I have checked the polarity and it conforms. Flash centre pin Positive. Artpart.