Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #1

Dust on Sensor

For the past month or so, I've been using frequently the K-r I recently purchased. It is my first DSLR. To my surprise, I found that the sky in a whole series of photos I took had a long spot on them. I tried the sensor vibration function (many times), but it did not dislodge the dust. I tried using a blower and finally, appeared to have removed the dust. However, even though I hadn't changed the lens, another dust spot appeared the next time I used the camera. Using a blower (not compressed air), I seem to be able to remove (or move) the dust - that is, at least according to the function which shows dust on the sensor. However, it seems that dust keeps reappearing on the sensor. Is this nature of DSLR's? The K-r in particular? My K-r? I reviewed other posts, and see there are a number of questions about dust on the sensor. While I realize that many of these spots can be removed using software, I am more interested in taking photos than removing dust after taking them. Is this something I'm going to have to deal with every time I shoot? If so, it makes be appreciate my Lumix P&S more.

Last edited by jwcjrccc; 11-06-2011 at 03:35 PM.
11-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't find the dust showing function to be that useful. I've found lighting has to be perfect and you have to point the camera at a very plain, white, bright, and even background.... none of which I have... but I guess I could put paper on a wall. I just blow the dust off and hope for the best. When I really need to know if the sensor is clean, I just take a photo of a white wall at f18+ and zoom the resulting image

Honestly though, I've never seen dust appear in my actual photos, but I tend to keep apertures at f8 at the highest... unless doing macro... even though I don't notice