Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

I've seen various two lens kits available on Amazon, with the red body, black lenses. I can't vouch for any particular sellers on there, since I bought mine locally, but I know these kits exist.

11-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Red Lens

You know, Pentax Japan sells the DA 35mm F/2.4 AL in every color. Not sure if the red is the K-x red or K-r red. Or maybe they have both, but the red color of those two camera bodies is different. Sounds like colored lenses are a custom order. Although, I haven't seen anything other than the 18-55mm and the 35mm in colors.

Don't know anything about this site. It takes a little while to load but about half way down the page are lots of the 35mm lenses in different colors:

Camera & Photos | Japan Shopping at FlutterScape
11-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I've seen various two lens kits available on Amazon, with the red body, black lenses. I can't vouch for any particular sellers on there, since I bought mine locally, but I know these kits exist.
I purchased my red Pentax k-r from amazon but they only had the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens kit. They didn't have the 2 lens kit for the red.
11-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angelaasmith Quote
The double lens package does not come in the red, only black, and from what I have read the DA L lens is not quite as good as the DA II . Am I wrong on this? Where can I get the multi lens package in the red body?
Talking kitlens (18-55), The DA-L version is optically the same as the DA II and the DA WR version. Although I have some expensive glass (primes), the DA18-55WR always surprises me if I have to use it (about once a year).

There is no II version of the 50-200 or 55-300, by the way.

11-11-2011, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I have a bag of lenses now but in the beginning of the DSLR adventure I quickly abandoned the kit 18-55 for a 18-250. It's a compromise, of course, but it allowed me to get shots I probably would have been too late or lazy to swap lenses for. I still often use a Sigma 18-250 for shooting outdoor events where I'm never certain what's going to happen next.

I like the 55-300 and it's clearly sharper at the long end than the 18-250s but sometimes you simply need the shot - at the right moment. Perfection can be a goal when you've time to properly set up for it. Grandchildren generally don't give you that much time!
11-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me make the best decision for me on the red Pentax kr. Because of your help and advise I have decided, for now, to purchase the Black Pentax Kr with the two lenses, 18-55 and 55-300, with various accessories, and the red Pentax Kr body. Then, sell the new black body at a reduced price from what the black bodies sell for normally. (Hopefully, I would have a buyer worked out before I make my purchase). Also, use my promaster 28-300 for now until I can update my lenses in about a year. Hopefully, I will add the Tamron 17-50/f.2.8 and the Sigma 28 - 250 in the future. Thanks again and if you know someone who would appreciate the deal on the Pentax Kr black body, please let me know.
12-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #22
Forum Member

I am buying the Pentax K-r (Red) and do not want the lens that comes with it. What is the best all round lens for this camera. Something like 18 - 250mm. Would the Sigma 18-250mm Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras be good? Looks like the DA II Pentax is preferred by most here.
How does the Sigma compare to that?

I personally would go with this lens for a "all around everyday lens".

Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens 21977 B&H

IMO, the "everyday lens" should be of the same brand as the camera.
12-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TechGuru Quote
IMO, the "everyday lens" should be of the same brand as the camera.
Any reason for that? Missing out on either cheaper of better because it has to be the same brand, no way.

12-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is "all around" shorthand for "does many things, none of them particularly well"?
12-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Any reason for that? Missing out on either cheaper of better because it has to be the same brand, no way.
Cheaper, it not, better, it is.

now I find myself talking like Yoda, lol.
12-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

There are a lot of exceptions to that. Sigma makes some fine lenses, as do others. Not that there's anything wrong with most of Pentax's offerings either.
12-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TechGuru Quote
Cheaper, it not, better, it is.

now I find myself talking like Yoda, lol.
Totally depends on the lenses that you're looking at. See e.g. DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm Comparison - Introduction

The conclusion from that test is the Pentax is not better than the competition.
12-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me make the best decision for me on the red Pentax kr. Because of your help and advise I have decided, for now, to purchase the Black Pentax Kr with the two lenses, 18-55 and 55-300, with various accessories, and the red Pentax Kr body. Then, sell the new black body at a reduced price from what the black bodies sell for normally. (Hopefully, I would have a buyer worked out before I make my purchase). Also, use my promaster 28-300 for now until I can update my lenses in about a year. Hopefully, I will add the Tamron 17-50/f.2.8 and the Sigma 28 - 250 in the future. Thanks again and if you know someone who would appreciate the deal on the Pentax Kr black body, please let me know.

Any news (:? I'm curious on what happened hehe.

Ohh If you still haven't done this, why not try getting the body and just get the kit lenses here at the forums,

or have you tried talking to some camera shops near you? cause that's what I did. they made me up a deal on a white body with a black 18 - 55, 55 - 300 kit lens. (they swapped the black and white body).