Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

New Kr, a few questions

Hello everyone,
I just got my new Kr, for a 2nd Pentax body after my K5.
First impressions are rather mixed; it seems that there isn't any serious ff issue under tungten light (SN starting from 41, firmware 1.00) .
But unfortunately:
a) I noticed a peculiar thing; something "heavy" is clearly moving inside the body when I turn it to the left or the right.. no matter if a lens is mounted or not. To say it with other words, it seems that a great part of the "inner" body is moving to the direction that I move the camera (left or right, up or down).
I wonder if someone else has the same experience, or a clue what this means..
Is it a good idea to return the camera back and ask for an exchange with a new Kr or live with this "problem"?
b) And one more thing: As I attached the Tamron 18-250mm in the Kr, I noticed that the noise of focusing was terrible, compared with Tamron 28-75mm, Pentax 10-17mm mounted on Kr, and terrible (nut somehow comparable) compared with the Tamron 18-250mm mounted on K5.
Is this "screaming" AF noise of the Tamron 18-250mm on Kr normal?
I appreciate your help, thank you in advance
Paschalis

Last edited by Paschalis; 11-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.
11-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paschalis Quote
a great part of the "inner" body
Yes I would say it is a great part - it's your sensor The sensor will shift while moving the camera, it is designed to do so (the shake reduction system).

QuoteOriginally posted by Paschalis Quote
Is this "screaming" AF noise of the Tamron 18-250mm on Kr normal
Yes - you don't notice it as much in the K5 as the K5 is well insulated and dampens the sound quite a bit...

11-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, as joe.penn said, the clunk sound is perfectly normal and beneficial. See this topic for more info: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/94122-b...lr-camera.html

It has been my (somewhat limited) experience that some Tamron lenses are incredibly noisy, much louder than comparable Sigma or Pentax lenses. The scream is normal, annoying but it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Enjoy your K-r! It's a great camera for its price.