Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Senior Member
Drom's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Mr. Moon; Seeking Advice for Capturing Lunar Images

Hello,
There was a big, fat moon the other night and I went out and tried to capture an image of it. I tried a couple different things with auto and semi auto modes (night scene and SV priority) and all I got was a stark white ball.

What do I need for this? Does anyone have any tips for capturing una luna bellissima?

Thanks!

11-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,511
HI,

You can see a number of lunar images together with information on equipment here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46612-shooting-moon-2.html

It isn't that difficult to get more than a "stark white ball" if you use fully manual mode and experiment a bit. If you do want to use camera automatics you will have to use spot-metering.

Good luck!
11-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,511
Addendum to the above:

If you would like to have some rules of thumb for your camera settings, perhaps you can finde some inspiration here:

Camera Settings for Astrophotography
11-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
Drom's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Original Poster
Ah, thank you so much! Extremely helpful
So, probably my commercial zoom lens is not fast enough to support a teleconverter, but I think I might start out by trying some of the manual settings that others have mentioned using and see what I can come up with.

11-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member
pixelsaurus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Levin, NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 778
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Addendum to the above:

If you would like to have some rules of thumb for your camera settings, perhaps you can finde some inspiration here:

Camera Settings for Astrophotography
Another useful site
Catching the Light: Astrophotography by Jerry Lodriguss
11-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,018
QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
Hello,
There was a big, fat moon the other night and I went out and tried to capture an image of it. I tried a couple different things with auto and semi auto modes (night scene and SV priority) and all I got was a stark white ball.

What do I need for this? Does anyone have any tips for capturing una luna bellissima?

Thanks!
In auto modes the camera tries to expose for the overall scene's darkness, hence an overexposed blown-out moon. Use manual mode for the moon.

The moon is a small object. It only fills around 1/6 of the frame height even with a 300mm lens. If you want a BIG moon you'll have to do a lot of cropping. To get the best data for cropping, use a tripod, ISO 100, as much zoom as you have, and RAW.

Use manual focus. Autofocus can have trouble locking onto the moon.
11-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,018
QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
Ah, thank you so much! Extremely helpful
So, probably my commercial zoom lens is not fast enough to support a teleconverter, but I think I might start out by trying some of the manual settings that others have mentioned using and see what I can come up with.
The teleconvertor *might* work. You don't need a fast lens for the moon (as you get more into astrophotography, lens speed becomes important for dim objects).

Let's say you're using a typical DAL 55-300. It's f5.6 at 300mm. A x2 teleconvertor drops that to f11. I think you'll still have plenty of light to manually focus on the moon. Use a tripod with that much zoom.
11-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
Drom's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Original Poster
Thanks very much! I haven't shot anything in RAW yet with this camera so this will be a good opportunity to do that. I was going to go outside tonight and try it but there's too much cloud cover-can't even see the moon tonight. I'll need to get myself a tripod. Looks like the next full moon is Dec 10th.


Last edited by Drom; 11-14-2011 at 08:06 AM.
11-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8
Someone once reminded me that the moon is lit by the sun, so should be exposed as you would for a daylight shot. I have tried a couple of times and set the camera to manual and use the 'sunny 16' rule. ie - set your iso then set the lens to f16 then set the shutter speed to 1/iso. So for iso 200 start off with 1/250 or so, for iso 400 1/350. As a rough starting guide it is pretty helpful. I get good exposures but rubbish focus and frame filling ability ;-)
11-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Some days I miss my old Sony DSC-S40. One button and it switches to spot meter and it's actually tight enough to get good pictures of the moon. That's another option if you're really determined to use some sort of automatic settings. The lighting environment isn't changing whereas spot metering will be kind of hit and miss, specially if you don't have full time exposure preview. I think enough has been said about using manual settings already.
Not enough has been said about clouds though. The moon illuminating the cloud cover can get very pretty if you have the right clouds.

I'm not sure what to do with this, other than maybe a bit of noise reduction.

Last edited by Ailuropoda; 11-14-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: switching to lower res picture
11-14-2011, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Brooke Meyer
Guest




EV 14 or Sunny 16 Rule -1

A Full Moon in a clear sky is EV 14, so Sunny 16 Rule minus 1 Stop or F11/ 1/100 / ISO 100 is your starting point. Your lens is probably sharpest at f8, so increase shutter speed 1 stop. I used a 1.4 TC with this so I compensated 1 stop with ISO 200. Manual, never used the meter. Tripod with 2 sec delay so automatically get Mirror Lockup and SR Off. Wired Remote Release. _IGP2955 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
11-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
Senior Member
Drom's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Original Poster
Got Him!

Hey it worked! Thanks everyone, this is a huge improvement over the stark white ball. It's not focused so well and I don't really have the hang of processing RAW images yet-I was winging it. But this is a start.


Last edited by Drom; 11-15-2011 at 05:01 AM.
11-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,511
QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
Hey it worked! Thanks everyone, this is a huge improvement over the stark white ball. It's not focused so well and I don't really have the hang of processing RAW images yet-I was winging it. But this is a start.
Congratulations !

---- and a (belated) Warning:

Now, you are most likely hooked and deemed to miss many a good nights sleep!!!
11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
Drom's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
A Full Moon in a clear sky is EV 14, so Sunny 16 Rule minus 1 Stop or F11/ 1/100 / ISO 100 is your starting point. Your lens is probably sharpest at f8, so increase shutter speed 1 stop. I used a 1.4 TC with this so I compensated 1 stop with ISO 200. Manual, never used the meter. Tripod with 2 sec delay so automatically get Mirror Lockup and SR Off. Wired Remote Release. _IGP2955 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Love your Frosty Moon image.
11-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Senior Member
Drom's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Congratulations !

---- and a (belated) Warning:

Now, you are most likely hooked and deemed to miss many a good nights sleep!!!
Well the moon didn't show up until 8:00pm last night so I did miss the first part of Dancing With The Stars... probably shouldn't admit I watch that.

Seriously though, you are right. I am in a rural area that is far enough away from the city lights that I get a pretty good view of the night sky- I am really looking forward to capturing more images.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, camera, k-r, kr, moon, night, pentax k-r
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking advice. KiwiB General Talk 11 05-25-2011 08:05 PM
Seeking telephoto? lens advice thestampinglady Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 03-23-2011 07:39 AM
Newbie seeking advice gramar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 03-18-2011 03:15 PM
Seeking Camera bag advice for a K 7 plus lenses vikingo Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 04-15-2010 12:41 PM
seeking advice... has anyone purchased from bestpriceelectronics.com? Ubuntu_user Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 03-19-2010 12:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top