Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

kr major failure

Hello all:
I purchased my new Pentax Kr in September 2011. The lenses I chose for this camera were the Sigma 18-55 HSM and the Pentax 55-300 F4-5.8 ED. I use the 55-300 for photographing football. I was in the process of photographing a playoff game which was a daylight game and I was shooting around 1/500 at 7.1-8.0 @ISO 640 shaded daylight. The images were great-- sharp, clear, well exposed. That's when it hit the fan. Something went radically wrong with either the in camera focus motor or the lens. All of a sudden, the camera somehow got confused and lost track of focus and then never returned to focus. It started to make a whining sound then kind of seized up and one of the focus points stayed lit. I shut the camera off and it still was whining so I removed the battery for about 10 seconds then reinstalled it and the camera still would not focus or operate properly. It seemed like a gear or something inside stripped out. The camera is not usable with this lens. My Sigma which has its own motor works fine. I just can't figure out what happened. Any ideas? I plan on contacting Pentax about this issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

11-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It doesn't sound like something you can fix yourself. You can try cleaning the contacts on both lens and body, and try re-mounting it a few times, but it sounds like a serious failure of the lens, to me.

The focus point that stayed lit, was that a one time occurrence, or does it keep happening? Also, does your Sigma let you choose not to use the HSM, and to use the screw drive instead? If so, what happens when you engage it and try to focus? (If it doesn't, sorry, I don't know too much about HSM lenses, but I've seen other threads mention the possibility).
11-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Philoslothical: thanks for the response, The focus point would stay lit if I tried to use the camera with this lens. The camera would also make the whining noise and not focus. The sigma lens with the built in motor only uses the hsm and can not be switched off. I can use the lens shake reduction if I choose to, or switch it off.