Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #1

FF even with MF lens

I've discovered the front focus issue. It's apparent with the 18-55 kit lens, and with the 50 f/2 SMC-M lens. I tried it in tungsten light and outdoor light. I ignored the camera's focus confirmation and looked through the viewfinder to focus, and it's still bad. The only thing I can think of is the mirror is misaligned or the focus screen is not shimmed correctly. What do you think?

11-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think your diopter adjustment on the viewfinder probably needs to be set.

The notorious "Tungsten FF issue" simply doesn't exist for manual lenses, manual focusing of AF lenses, or AF in Live View. You would have to be exceedingly unlucky to get a new K-r that won't focus with multiple lenses like that, and it would signify a defective copy, not a part of a larger issue.
11-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
OK thanks Phil I'll try that.
11-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

FWIW, I had a similar scare shortly after getting my K-r, turned out to be a combination of poorly set diopter, and an old Sigma lens that still refuses to focus true, but it had been in storage for a decade and god knows what done to it before that.

The correct way to set your diopter is to remove the lens, look through the viewfinder towards a brightly lit area, like out a window, and adjust it until the fine framing lines on the focusing screen are the sharpest to your eyes.

11-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
wax
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be sure you input the correct lens focal lenght. A mistake on this could produce distortion on shot, because of SR action .
11-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote

The correct way to set your diopter is to remove the lens, look through the viewfinder towards a brightly lit area, like out a window, and adjust it until the fine framing lines on the focusing screen are the sharpest to your eyes.

I tried that without lens. The framing lines on the right were sharp, but on the left were not quite as sharp. I moved the diopter, and then the lines on the left were sharp but not on the right. I gave the focus screen a light push to make sure it was in all the way and still same. I think I'm going to call Adorama and send back for refund. I found out that if you don't have an A series MF lens, there are lots of limitiations. No distortion correction, having to push the green button to stop down meter is a real pain, no TTL flash....
11-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

All Pentax DSLRs have limitations when using M lenses. Most of us are quite glad for the functionality of the green button, considering the alternative is to not be able to meter with manual lenses at all, like on Nikon models for less than about $1200.

There could be a slight mis-alignment of your focusing screen, maybe. Eye position plays a role too. You could see about an exchange first.
11-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
I called Adorama and arranged sending it back and shipped it yesterday. The K-r is a nice little camera, but I guess it's not for me. Yes the cheapest Nikon that meters with manual lenses is $1200-with digital, they've got you any way you go. A 35mm body that meters with manual lenses can be found used for less than $50.