Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

Using AF/AEL button for focusing

Hi
i currently have a K200 but thanks to the generosity of my wife I am getting a Kr for Christmas. With the K200 I use the OK button to focus. Apparently this is not available on the Kr but the AF/AEL button is. Has anyone here used this option and if so what do they feel about it

Thanks

11-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It's a great option so long as you don't want AE-L as it's either/or. That's the problem.
11-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the way I have my camera set up. Let's you set the focus where you want and then frame without messing up the focus. But as noted AE-L does not work if the button is set to focus. Wish there was a way around that.
11-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

There is a way around that. Use manual exposure and that way, the meter won't get fooled which is most of the time.

11-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
I must admit I do what Brooke appears to do when I want exposure lock. I note details and then shoot in manual
11-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This is something solved by the K-5/K-7 bodies, separate controls for AF & AE-L.
11-19-2011, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Gallery
K-r lets you separate focus lock and AE lock. You use the shutter release for focus lock (press half way) and the AE/L button for AE lock only.
However, it is not the default - you need to change a setup option. It is on page 4 of the "camera" icon setup menu.

I much prefer this to the default setting.

You do need to remember a specific order of operations:
1) press shutter release 1/2 way to wake up the metering (and bring scene into focus if you are using AF)
2) center the part you want to meter on in the viewfinder (I almost always use center-weighted or spot metering)
3) press and release AE-L to lock exposure. A little asterisk appears in the viewfinder when exposure is locked. You
can press again to toggle exposure lock if you decide you didn't like it the first time.
4) now compose, focus lock if necessary, then shoot.

It takes much longer to read than to do. The main thing to remember is that pressing the AE-L button alone won't turn on the
metering system, but once you press the shutter release 1/2 way the metering will remain on for 10 sec. (Actually that is
adjustable too - "C" menu, page 1, option 4.)