Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finknottle Quote
In reply to all of the above. I have, only two days ago, bought a K-r. It is my first DSLR, so I am now a little concerned. In a, possibly, forlorn hope that Pentax will be honest, I have this very day sent an email asking for clarification over the K-r. If and when I receive a reply I shall post same in these forums.
Concerned about what ? Replacement cameras may be just what you want in the future - upgrades on the Kr. The lenses are going nowhere, you have a guarantee (take out an extension) and a wonderful camera .. enjoy it !

11-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ Brady and Finknottle

I don't see why the concern. the KR has now nee on the market longer than it's predecessors. 1 year give or take is the norm. Killing off the body only option early is sensible since it is a smaller market than the kit lens. Particularly if they are going to drop the kit prices as part of a model end push to clear. It's actually a good time to buy. If you don't need the kit lens sell it on and offset your price (or store it for when you upgrade and want to sell the K-r
Meantime there are lots of lenses that continue to be available and new model likely just around the corner given this sign.
The Kr is a great camera but to stay market competitive sooner or later it needs replacement
Not sure where you bought Finknottle but if they have a price guarantee or a return policy and you are really concerned you can always send it back and wait a week or 2 for any price drops driven by US Black Friday
11-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Btw, Joe, what's with the extra 20 line breaks at the end of every post? Don't make me bust out the regular expressions
Haha

$t = preg_replace('/(?: (?:\r\n|\r|\n)\s*){2}/s', '', $t);

Sorry for the line breaks, force of habit, will stop that
11-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #34
Pentaxian

If the K-r is discontinued it will leave my 4X5 as the only camera I own that is a current model And people ask me if it an antique.

I bought my in the spring and expect it to last past several model introductions so Finknottle et al I too wonder what your concern is unless it is that there will be a large price drop on the used ones and if you wished to sell in the near future you might lose more money than if it is still current. By near future I mean in months not years.

11-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Adam posted a thread apparently it is Officially discontinued but there is a good amount of stock still about. Can anybody say Black Friday Deals

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/166261-pentax-k-r-comp...continued.html
11-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #36
Finknottle

Frogfish and eddie1960. Past experience of one company taking over another. New company makes multivarious promises about old companies products. A few months hence and new company announces that all old companies products will cease to be available and warranties and repairs not honoured. This happened some ten or fifteen years ago when Tiny computers where involved in a takeover and went under. I know because it happened to me over a computer. I was fortunate, I kept on being a nuisance and after around nine or ten months eventually got a refund but hundreds/thousands didn't.
11-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I can understand the concern from that aspect. But Ricoh is not a company in financial difficulty and Pentax is currently profitable. Ricoh has a history in the camera business (and produce some very interesting Niche items) they took over Pentax with a stated interest in getting serious in the camera business. If hoya still owned Pentax there would still be a discontinued sign on the Kr, it's time for it's replacement, there is a cycle to these things in the consumer electronics world. they also have an agreement tor grow the brand with Hoya so i doubt they will abandon the older models (it would be corporate suicide, and Ricoh is far to big a player to screw around with the head games small players do)

11-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #38
Finknottle

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think that as this is my first DSLR I shall keep it, at least until I am familiar with the working of digital photography and take things from there. Which makes me think that an upgrade may well be on the horizon, maybe next spring.
11-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

As a first DSLR the Kr is an excellent Kit, and there is little reason to change a camera body as quickly as next spring, much better to invest for a while in good lenses. they hold their value and add more to the creative workflow than a camera body (though many K5 owners will disagree here)
Enjoy the camera Finknottle, and get out and hit the boot sales and great flea markets i've seen in the uk. you're sure to find some good deals on old Pentax glass (I bought an m50 f1.7 for 10 pounds in portobello last year even though i had one at home )
11-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #40
Finknottle

Thanks guys, suddenly things seem much better. My new thought for today/tomorrow. Lenses!
11-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, suddenly things seem much better. My new thought for today/tomorrow. Lenses!
You're DOOMED now
11-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And so LBA claims another victim
11-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #43
Finknottle

eddie1960 and robwill. I'm afraid that you'll need to enlighten me upon your humorous remarks.
11-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #44
Site Supporter

eddie1960 and robwill. I'm afraid that you'll need to enlighten me upon your humorous remarks.
LBA = Lens Buying Addiction

One you start its hard to stop
11-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually it is not possible to stop.

Treatment can help by slowing it but frequent recurrences still manifest.