Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #76
Adorama Camera Representative

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I did a bit of asking around; it seems that as far as we know it is indeed at the end of its life - and we have just a few units left.

Once they’re gone, they’re gone

12-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #77

Where can I buy it in Canada? I would like to bye only body. Thanks.
12-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Look here
Pentax K-r - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
12-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
wow and no replacement yet announced.... These camera's have a one year product cycle so when was the K-r released and where is the replacement?

12-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Looks like we were All wrong, seems that most colors were disconnected at many outlets to enable exclusive deal with Walmart on colored Kr's Walmart.com: Pentax K-r 12.4MP DSLR Camera Bundle w/ 18-55mm Lens, 3" LCD, HD Video (Assorted Colors) w/ 50 Bonus Prints: Digital Cameras

Hans
Wal Mart? As much as I want Pentax to be successful, I dread seeing the momtogs that charge $200 to do weddings toting around bright red Krs now. I'd rather Nikon keep its stranglehold on the fauxtog segment.
12-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Being discontinued is not a reason to hold off buying one...just means a new model about to be released. I'd still buy a K-x today they are excellent cameras, 1 yr since they were discontinued and so is the K-r.

However if i was buying one today I'd want to know what its replacement is.
12-13-2011, 02:22 AM   #82

It's more usual to have a replacement model before you discontinue the older one.
I'm still waiting for Pentax to fix the FF issue on the K-r some are saying it's short life is to kill off the problems they've had with it.

12-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
It's more usual to have a replacement model before you discontinue the older one.
I'm still waiting for Pentax to fix the FF issue on the K-r some are saying it's short life is to kill off the problems they've had with it.
Not if you want to make sure you clear all your old models before it arrives.

All in all the FF under tungsten light was a minor issue, and the commonly reported FF 'issue' was mostly people with FF/BF lens calibration requirements from what I've seen on this website (or just expect too much from a camera in a dark room with a kit lens). Also it's an entry level camera, 12 months isn't what I'd call a short life......quite the norm actually.
12-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Except,
1) The Kr hasn't been officially discontinued,
2) Its lifespan is no shorter than the Kx, and
3) Dealers don't report getting many returns.

Meanwhile, we now have three separate threads discussing KR DISCONTINUED all at once. Ay yi yi.
12-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonzai Quote
Where can I buy it in Canada? I would like to bye only body. Thanks.
Prodigital2000 has the red and white body only for $543 Canadian with free shipping.

Red K-r Body

White K-r Body

AB
12-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #86

Strange Pentax UK told me that had had a lot of complaints about the FF issue from users so much so they don't even try to debate it with customers anymore.
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
Not if you want to make sure you clear all your old models before it arrives.

All in all the FF under tungsten light was a minor issue, and the commonly reported FF 'issue' was mostly people with FF/BF lens calibration requirements from what I've seen on this website (or just expect too much from a camera in a dark room with a kit lens). Also it's an entry level camera, 12 months isn't what I'd call a short life......quite the norm actually.
I don't think it's a lens calibration issue, well maybe some are. But in my case, focus is ok with the same lens in other light sources.
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #88

No it's not a lens issue, it's a "Pentax" issue ;-)
12-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #89
Veteran Member

All hail the upcoming K-r successor.

It would be a fair assumption that it will use a Sony sensor, likely that in the NEX-5N. That should offer an incredible nearly 2 stop advantage over the already-impressive K-r / K-x.
12-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
That should offer an incredible nearly 2 stop advantage over the already-impressive K-r / K-x.
i did some shots with the k-x @6400 iso with my Vivitar S1 70-210/3.5 and i was impress how the noise was not so important in RAW and very very well handle in photoshop.
So 2 stops better is just ... WAHOUUUUUUUUUUUU !