Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Quite the reverse I understand completely how business works it's as I said if you don't have a product for sale people can't buy it, that is pretty simple to grasp for most people. Nikon seems to have had a lot of problems due to natural disaters yet was able to resume production of it's DSLR's and didn't discontinue any either. If production problems were that bad the K-5 would be out of stock as well which it does not appear to be.
Not sure you do grasp it. Sensors are ordered a long way out, runs are large. The stock of KR wa likely predicted to cover a changeover. then the flood killed the sensor plant and the new model was likely delayed (why announce it if it won't be available - to frustrate people
Nikon may well be running on stocks they had as well. they overlap models much longer and also build more stock. Sony has limited stock available (no Sensors) D700 Nikons are virtually unavailable despite the new model not being announced even (see sensor plant under water)

Really it's an unfortunate series of events. there are of course some stocks of KR out there. Had certain dealers not announced it being discontinued no-one would even be complaining.
Would it be better to have a new model out or have another run of KR. yes it would, - if another run of the sensor could be made - oops yeah sensor plant out of business, killing both options, Can't just order a different sensor and throw in the camera so what would you like Ricoh to have done?

12-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Quite the reverse I understand completely how business works it's as I said if you don't have a product for sale people can't buy it, that is pretty simple to grasp for most people. Nikon seems to have had a lot of problems due to natural disaters yet was able to resume production of it's DSLR's and didn't discontinue any either. If production problems were that bad the K-5 would be out of stock as well which it does not appear to be.
I wish I understood ANYTHING completely.......
12-24-2011, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Had certain dealers not announced it being discontinued no-one would even be complaining.
Exactly right. Pentax still hasn't said anything about discontinuing the K-r. It may well be correct, but it's not official.
12-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #109

Photos: Gallery
K-r To be or not to be

Well the imfomation was posted as Pentax news . So were do we go from here. Has it gone or what? Uk humor does not travel the idea of dropping the name was said with tongue in cheek. One of the Pentax technicans at the uk repair center feels that it is one of the best bodies that they have produced in the price range being offered. As mentioned before after the last trip to the repair center it is a different camera.I hope that it does continue and perhaps firmware mods in the future will improve it further

12-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Exactly right. Pentax still hasn't said anything about discontinuing the K-r. It may well be correct, but it's not official.
+1 I have no doubt that no more are being made. But Ricoh has said nothing official. And I seriously doubt that outside of the small fraction of photographers in the world that read this or other forums that anyone has any idea that some retailers have indicated that the k-r is coming to end of life.
12-29-2011, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is purely an internet rumour that has just gone a bit nuts, even though the facts are staring you in the face if you look hard enough. I only started taking the rumour seriously when photo rumours reported that Pentax Japan had 'confirmed on Twitter that orders for the K-r will not be accepted after December 9, 2011'. There was a link to the official Twitter statement here:

https://twitter.com/#!/pentax_jp/status/142415564621619200

But I ran the Japanese text through Babelfish and it actually says:

QuoteQuote:
End of K-r order color incoming order service approached. As for more desired one ahead of time! By the way, it becomes end at 2011 December 9th
In case anyone missed that, I'll add emphasis:

QuoteQuote:
End of K-r order color incoming order service approached. As for more desired one ahead of time! By the way, it becomes end at 2011 December 9th
So apparently only new orders for the coloured bodies have been wound down. This makes sense; the coloured bodies are probably much slower sellers.

There is a hint here that a new body is probably on the horizon at least, but it appears that rumours of the Kr's death have been greatly exaggerated! :wink:
12-29-2011, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
This is purely an internet rumour that has just gone a bit nuts
it appears that rumours of the Kr's death have been greatly exaggerated! :wink:
+1 back to reality. Kr has not been discontinued. Yet. All this angst for nothing!

01-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #113

I emailed pentax and was told the K-r IS discontinued.

Dear Derek,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

The K-R is a discontinued model but we have no information from PENTAX Japan about what model is going to replace it.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
02-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #114

Photos: Albums
hay i just got a kr whats wrong with the black ones
02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #115

A black K-r is just as bad for AF as a white or red one. It's a disgrace Pentax can continue to sell this model knowing it has such problems
02-24-2012, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by dragcarlady Quote
hay i just got a kr whats wrong with the black ones
Nothing's wrong with the black ones. Mine is black; I love it-it's my baby. It takes very fine images of birds and such: