Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Actually it is not possible to stop.

Treatment can help by slowing it but frequent recurrences still manifest.
Having no money is the only cure.

11-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, guess this means we'll start seeing the K-r on Woot! soon.

I have a K-r, and while I didn't just buy it two days ago, I would agree that there really isn't any need to be concerned about this. What this means to me is that by the time I'm ready, and rich enough, to upgrade my camera, there will be an upgrade available to me. That's a good thing! In the meantime, I have a heck of a camera and some great lenses to enjoy. Pentax will still support my K-r through the rest of its warranty and it doesn't know it's been discontinued. (Shhhh, nobody tell it!)
11-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #48
Finknottle

Firstly, thanks Deimos. Now, as promised here is the reply from Pentax regarding my discontinued query. I have been told this.
1. The Pentax K-r is still in production.
2. Even if it were not all are still covered by support and warranty.
Pentax hope that this will reassure me about my buying the Pentax K-r. In my turn, I hope that this may be of some little assurance to others.
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Finknottle Quote
Firstly, thanks Deimos. Now, as promised here is the reply from Pentax regarding my discontinued query. I have been told this.
1. The Pentax K-r is still in production.
2. Even if it were not all are still covered by support and warranty.
Pentax hope that this will reassure me about my buying the Pentax K-r. In my turn, I hope that this may be of some little assurance to others.

I bought a K-r last year and used it up until last month when I broke it falling off a bike. Just upgraded to the K-5

The K-r is fantastic you should have no worries. (especially if purchased recently, I have a suspicion that Pentax has worked out most kinks in the later K-r/K-5's) I didn't even need the upgrade but my skills were finally getting to the point where I could make use of the new features.

The biggest differences between the K-r and K-5 for me is the better viewfinder, quiet shutter and more external controls on the K-5, there is a also a bit more dynamic range and high ISO. But the K-r really is great, and the size is a nice bit more compact and light than the K-5

Enjoy!

11-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #50
Finknottle

Thanks Deimos, I shall do my best.
11-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Having no money is the only cure.
Poverty is not a cure. One can always obtain more, legally or otherwise.
Dismemberment is not a cure. One can still obtain unusable lenses.
Imprisonment is not a cure. One can still dream, hope, desire.
Senility is not a cure. One can still want, even not knowing why.
Conversion to fundamentalist faith is a cure. Pray for something else.
Death is the only sure cure. No other treatment can prevent recidivism.
11-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Poverty is not a cure. One can always obtain more, legally or otherwise. Dismemberment is not a cure. One can still obtain unusable lenses. Imprisonment is not a cure. One can still dream, hope, desire. Senility is not a cure. One can still want, even not knowing why. Conversion to fundamentalist faith is a cure. Pray for something else. Death is the only sure cure. No other treatment can prevent recidivism.
Beautiful. +1

11-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Poverty is not a cure. One can always obtain more, legally or otherwise.
Yes but if you aren't buying the lenses then it isn't LBA.
Dismemberment is not a cure. One can still obtain unusable lenses.
Yes but it's unlikely you would be interested if you were merely a torso with head attached.
Imprisonment is not a cure. One can still dream, hope, desire.
LBA is Lens Buying Addiction not Dreaming about Buying Lenses Addiction. One can only service the habit by buying on a regular basis. That is highly unlikely to occur if one is incarcerated.
Senility is not a cure. One can still want, even not knowing why.
Advanced dimenture suffers probably have no idea about what a lens actually is so that would be a cure I think.
Conversion to fundamentalist faith is a cure. Pray for something else.
Yes, that is a cure for everything except stupidity.
Death is the only sure cure. No other treatment can prevent recidivism.
Death is not a treatment as a 'cure' usually involves the patient surviving. I was also unaware that LBA was recidivist.. unless of course you steal lenses or commit robberies to service your LBA habit. I also hope you aren't advocating the death penalty for overly ambitious LBA sufferers.

A question: Do Pixel Peepers suffer LBA more than those who just enjoy what they have and actually take real-life photographs - instead of test photographs of brick walls and the like?

PS: In the music industry this addiction is referred to as G.A.S. or Gear Acquisition Syndrome. That would probably cover the dreaming aspect as it doesn't necessarily involve actually buying things.

Last edited by bossa; 11-25-2011 at 04:11 PM.
11-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #54
Veteran Member

One can be an addict, even if not indulging. Reportedly, an alcoholic remains an alcoholic even if "on the wagon" for decades. LBA isn't just the uninhibited acquisition of lenses; it's the raw DESIRE for glass.

I am a junkie for certain ethnic arts and crafts, for certain musical instruments, and more. I keep those addictions under tight control. Yet, they remain addictions. Even if I'm not acquiring more Native American pottery, I'm still a pothead -- keep me away from auctions of injun stuff. Even if I'm not buying more guitars, I'm still a git.geek -- don't let me near Paracho, Michuacan, Mexico, the guitar capital of the Americas. I'll just go wild.
11-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #55
Veteran Member

LOL. Point taken although my post was just a (light humoured) pedantic rant meant to keep the LBA definition under strict control.. can't let the meaning fade even if the desire is strong.

I am a musician too.. made a living out of guitar for 35 years... what sort of guitars are you into?

Last edited by bossa; 11-26-2011 at 12:39 AM.
11-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I am a musician too.. made a living out of guitar for 35 years... what sort of guitars are you into?
I survived as a busker long ago. Now I just have an assortment of mostly acoustic instruments hanging around. Various 6-strings, an Ovation 12, a National tricone, a couple of Turkish ouds, a couple mountain dulcimers, 8- and 12-string mandolins, banjos (including banjo-mandolin and banjo-uke). Electrics include an Aria jazz-top, a Les Paul clone, a Japanese bass, and a professionally-made cigar-box 3-string.

Luckily when we drove through Paracho, the SUV was already jammed absolutely full, so I had room only for a mandolin-size quattro, not the 3 or 4 finely-crafted electro-acoustic 6-strings I lusted after. I almost bought an indigenous 3-string standup bass in Antigua Guatemala but I didn't want to leave it strapped to the roof all the way back to California.

Storing a couple hundred lenses ain't no big thang. Storing a pile of acoustic instruments -- well, they occupy a little more space, eh?

ObTopic: Gosh, has the Kr *really* been discontinued?
11-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I survived as a busker long ago. Now I just have an assortment of mostly acoustic instruments hanging around. Various 6-strings, an Ovation 12, a National tricone, a couple of Turkish ouds, a couple mountain dulcimers, 8- and 12-string mandolins, banjos (including banjo-mandolin and banjo-uke). Electrics include an Aria jazz-top, a Les Paul clone, a Japanese bass, and a professionally-made cigar-box 3-string.

Luckily when we drove through Paracho, the SUV was already jammed absolutely full, so I had room only for a mandolin-size quattro, not the 3 or 4 finely-crafted electro-acoustic 6-strings I lusted after. I almost bought an indigenous 3-string standup bass in Antigua Guatemala but I didn't want to leave it strapped to the roof all the way back to California.

Storing a couple hundred lenses ain't no big thang. Storing a pile of acoustic instruments -- well, they occupy a little more space, eh?

ObTopic: Gosh, has the Kr *really* been discontinued?
Great stuff... thanks for the detailed info.

I decided long ago that I would only have one guitar for each purpose I needed in the studio and a back-up for live gigs.

I have a Custom Shop 57 Les Paul Gold Top, Custom Shop ES 335 Cherry figured with dot inlays, 50th anniversary Strat, Variax 600, Maton Australian acoustic, Fernandes Les Paul, Yamaha AES 1500, Godin Freeway LB for my Axon Midi converter and a Yamaha bass. I've never tried to play Ukes or mandolins etc... just a guitar tragic who doesn't know when to give up. I want to buy a decent electic Classical guitar though and that'll be my last. I've had some mighty guitars that I've sold over they years for all the wrong reasons. I used to mainly play through the PA via pedals like Pod Live or my Digitech GSP1100 so I really only have two amps these days. A Laney VC30 and a Marshall JVM combo. My playing live days seem to have come to an end though...

cheers
Steve
11-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I've never tried to play Ukes or mandolins etc... just a guitar tragic who doesn't know when to give up. I want to buy a decent electic Classical guitar though and that'll be my last.
Next time I'm in Paracho, an electrified flamenco guitar is coming home with me, I swear it!

As for the others: My first stringed instrument was a mountain dulcimer, and later I built a few. Guitar came next, then banjo. And then I inherited my grandfather's circa 1890 banjo-mandolin, a neat but heavy axe that could range from romantic to raucous. And that led to more mandolins, and ukes, and Arab lutes, and tin-cup banjos, and all the rest. And of course kazoos, slide-whistles, nose-flutes, etc.

A note on busking: My saxophonist partner (who later stole my first wife, and he's bloody welcome to her!) and I used to play at the lower NE corner of Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco in the early 1970s. And there was an old Calypso singer who thought that corner belonged to him and did his best to run us off. But we stayed and played and did well. Then we moved on to other things in life -- I went into software, Carl started a business. And that Calypso singer? He's still there on the same corner with the same act and patter, still making a few bucks a day if the weather isn't too bad. Yeah, I threw a quarter into his cup and no, he doesn't recognize me. Whatever.

ObTopic: Hay, if the Kr does well at WalMart, maybe they'll keep production going?

Last edited by RioRico; 11-26-2011 at 05:24 PM.
11-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Great story.. thanks. I stay away from music stores these days... I am now learning that camera shops are just as dangerous to me so they'll be off limits soon enough as well.
11-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #60

It strikes me very odd that Pentax would tell B&H the K-r is discontinued, at the same time they announce "NEW PENTAX K-r COLORS AVAILABLE ON WALMART.COM". - PENTAX - NEW PENTAX K-r COLORS AVAILABLE ON WALMART.COM