Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobBlazevic Quote
It strikes me very odd that Pentax would tell B&H the K-r is discontinued
I doubt they did. This whole thing sounds more like a tactic on B&H part, although it could have been some kind of mistake. People have got email responses from Pentax saying that the K-r is NOT discontinued yet. That should be enough confirmation for anyone.

11-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #62

Well, It'll be my birthday tomorrow and I've been looking for a DSLR (my first!) for the past couple of weeks. After much consideration between the 600d and the Pentax K-r, I thought the Pentax was more suited to me.

After placing my order today, I went to check the status and saw this:

Soon after I spoke to the guys on the Live Chat and they didn't know anything about it, or why the image was there; especially after telling me they had over 40 in stock.

I ended up cancelling my order, and am now stuck in limbo yet again.
11-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they had 40 in stock then why did you cancel your order?
11-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If they had 40 in stock then why did you cancel your order?
To be honest, I wanted to actually know if it was discontinued as it usually means a drop in price or the introduction of a new model. I'm not in a dire need for a camera as ive got a lot of work with it being the final year of my degree; plus it's all in aid of a hobby I can start at any time.

I was going to head to Jessops today and ask about the discontinuation but I really doubt they'll know a thing...

11-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably not. B&H did list a number of SKU's of the k-r (certain colors and configurations) as discontinued but others have been told it is not discontinued. Reality is that no one really knows at this point but the k-r is getting close to end of life cycle. So your point about price reductions is well taken. Rumors persist that a new model will be released soon but nothing definite has been posted anywhere. On the other hand Pentax cameras seem to retain their value well even after the next model is released. Check the price for the k-7 on ebay, still very strong though it has been discontinued for quite some time.
11-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Probably not. B&H did list a number of SKU's of the k-r (certain colors and configurations) as discontinued but others have been told it is not discontinued. Reality is that no one really knows at this point but the k-r is getting close to end of life cycle. So your point about price reductions is well taken. Rumors persist that a new model will be released soon but nothing definite has been posted anywhere. On the other hand Pentax cameras seem to retain their value well even after the next model is released. Check the price for the k-7 on ebay, still very strong though it has been discontinued for quite some time.
Sorry, I should also have mentioned that my order was from http://www.warehouseexpress.com (WEX photographic) and not B&H. It just seemed too coincidental the "Discontinued" image appearing.
11-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #67
Veteran Member

At the risk of sounding cynical, some silly person at that place probably heard about the whole B&H started rumour, and decided to change its status without verifying it. Or, it could be just an error on their part and coincidental, who knows.

12-03-2011, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

I hope that they have discontinued it. They have admitted that there is a problem with the Kr they can't fix (tungsten front focus). Discontinuing the camera would display a bit more integrity and respect for customers then perhaps Pentax has in the recent past.
12-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #69
Finknottle

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
I hope that they have discontinued it. They have admitted that there is a problem with the Kr they can't fix (tungsten front focus). Discontinuing the camera would display a bit more integrity and respect for customers then perhaps Pentax has in the recent past.
jeztastic. Could you please explain what tungsten front focus is and what it does, as I am a complete novice regarding DSLR? Many thanks.
12-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #70

Looks like it has been discontinued:

Pentax K-r discontinued | Photo Rumors
12-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Finknottle: I am no expert myself, but as I understand it the K-r focuses in the wrong place under certain lighting conditions - such as a old style filament lightbulb.
12-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like we were All wrong, seems that most colors were disconnected at many outlets to enable exclusive deal with Walmart on colored Kr's Walmart.com: Pentax K-r 12.4MP DSLR Camera Bundle w/ 18-55mm Lens, 3" LCD, HD Video (Assorted Colors) w/ 50 Bonus Prints: Digital Cameras

Hans
12-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #73
Finknottle

It is rather reassuring that the K-r is not being 'given up on'. I was concerned because I have not any more spare cash with which to buy another camera. Also, after two weeks of research into the 'big three', Pentax K-r, Canon 1100D and the Nikon D3100, my laymans interpretation is thus. #1. Pentax. #2. Canon and then the Nikon. The two lenses help the K-r although I have now seen that the Canon 1100D can be bought as an offer from Currys with two lenses for £499.00. I also came to the conclusion that overall the K-r had more features than the other two. The only drawback with the K-r is the 'no weather proofing' although I didn't read anywhere that the other two cameras had it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
12-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finknottle Quote
It is rather reassuring that the K-r is not being 'given up on'. I was concerned because I have not any more spare cash with which to buy another camera. Also, after two weeks of research into the 'big three', Pentax K-r, Canon 1100D and the Nikon D3100, my laymans interpretation is thus. #1. Pentax. #2. Canon and then the Nikon. The two lenses help the K-r although I have now seen that the Canon 1100D can be bought as an offer from Currys with two lenses for £499.00. I also came to the conclusion that overall the K-r had more features than the other two. The only drawback with the K-r is the 'no weather proofing' although I didn't read anywhere that the other two cameras had it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
the other cameras most definitely don't have weather proofing. the lowest price weatherproofed camera is still the K5 (or used K7/K20/K10/K200)
canikon only offers WR at the highest levels
12-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #75
Finknottle

Thanks for the update, eddie1960, much appreciated.