Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #91

The K-r update (if there is one) never mind the sensor let's hope it can AF!
Not a minor issue if you're doing serious work I would add that..a major problem

12-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #92

Photos: Gallery
The news we received this forum is that Pentax would end production of Kr. It was a big disappointment. With respect to customers who are loyal to the brand Pentax and bought this equipment, should keep this model on the market. Take him out now would be disastrous for the purchase. Especially for those who live in distant countries like Brazil, who had to shell out many dollars to buy it. Everything here is very expensive to pay much tax.
Sincerely,
Paolillo
12-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #93

I'd imagine Pentax don't want more K-r's out there as they have a known fault! That's my logic on this one
I'm sure Pentax will replace it in a few months with a comparable model, if it can AF properly though it anyone's guess
12-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
I'd imagine Pentax don't want more K-r's out there as they have a known fault! That's my logic on this one
I'm sure Pentax will replace it in a few months with a comparable model, if it can AF properly though it anyone's guess
Not likely, they would still want to sell them would be my guess. the reason for them going discontinued is likely multifold.
1. Sony sensor plant got wiped out in the flood (this would stop production of sensors not only for Kr but for the replacement - highly likely)
2. replacement model delayed due to 1
3. planned inventory would have overlapped with replacement if it hadn't been delayed
4. ricoh assuming control delayed new models then flood hit further delaying new product

Probably all of these are part of the reason
In the past scheme of things kr replacement would have been out for christmas. so would a lot of other new entry cameras from Sony and Nikon (same sensor plant) anything new was likely in production (and hence had the sensors) prior to the flood. anything that wasn't fully in production has been delayed or if announced pretty limited (Nex 7 for instance is very tight stock)

In any case whether or not it's discontinued has little to do with whether it's a good camera or not. Yes there is a low light tungsten issue. I have news for you, most cameras struggle in low tungsten light, not just the KR . doesn't mean it's not a good camera, or one to even avoid if you need a camera now. As it sits the pricing out there is generally pretty good right now making it an excellent value.

Hell I have 13 cameras. THEY ARE ALL DISCONTINUED, SOME FOR CLOSE TO 50 YEARS NOW , They all still take as good a picture as I am capable of taking.

12-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #95

"....Hell I have 13 cameras. THEY ARE ALL DISCONTINUED, SOME FOR CLOSE TO 50 YEARS NOW , They all still take as good a picture as I am capable of taking....."

RIGHT ON

I can't believe they discontinued my beloved K-1000

Last edited by derek45; 01-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
12-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #96

I've never used a camera that was as bad for AF under tungsten as the K-r so I'm simply not buying the "they all struggle a bit line" I've used plenty of models from various makers and even the K-x was fine here.
I doubt it's the sensor either but stocks are low of K-r which is probably a good thing I feel for those who end up with a camera that can't AF in this light.

Bad move IMO as they should have had a replacement for the K-r for sale if they are stopping it
12-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #97

So what's a prospective Pentax DSLR owner to do with the shortage of K-r's? Wait for its replacement or buy a used one or plump for a K-5 or K-7?

12-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #98

Maybe Ricoh wants the low end market, hence no replacement model.
12-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #99

Photos: Gallery
What Next

Perhaps Rioch will discontinue the name Pentax next. The expected production run has lasted less than the sell by dates on some supermarket foods. If it aint broke dont fix it ! Well they didn't its gone on the scrap heap. However the ones that gave no problems have out performed many of the opposition models.Mine has been so improved after its last trip back to Pentax you would not think it was the same camera . Perhaps the bofins at Rioch havn't given it a fair trial.
12-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foggyday Quote
Perhaps Rioch will discontinue the name Pentax next.
Why buy a photo company and close it after ? It's a complete non-sense !
12-23-2011, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foggyday Quote
Perhaps Rioch will discontinue the name Pentax next. The expected production run has lasted less than the sell by dates on some supermarket foods. If it aint broke dont fix it ! Well they didn't its gone on the scrap heap. However the ones that gave no problems have out performed many of the opposition models.Mine has been so improved after its last trip back to Pentax you would not think it was the same camera . Perhaps the bofins at Rioch havn't given it a fair trial.
I fail to see why discontinuing and bringing a new model to market seems to be such a surprise to everyone. Even in film days they made minor updates and changed bodies pretty fast (MX5 then MX5n for instance)
Cameras are now more like Consumer Electronics items. the change in technology is pretty quick and requires updates on models frequently. On high volume entry level models the change comes quicker than high end because cost of production is returned faster.
The Kr is an excellent camera, so was the Kx. they were on the market for about the same length of time.
The only real difference is the Kr isn't overlapping with the new TBD model.
Given the number of natural disasters (tsunamis, Floods) that have impacted the camera manufacturing business in the last year this is no surprise. Add in that Ricoh officially took possession of Pentax right around when the replacement should have been announced (and perhaps Hoya didn't want to pay for development for Ricoh's benefit) and it makes sense. I imagine there are new model launches planned for January (CES and PMA - probably KR replacement and maybe the ricoh k-mount mountor for the GXR for instance) and more in October (Photokina - the big biannual show- Probably K5 replacement and maybe the FF)
Nikon has delayed several new models for the same reason - see D800 (minus ownership change) so has sony try getting a Nex 7 right now
This is pretty standard marketing stuff and it''s the same across all consumer electronics product lines. Great products get discontinued and are replaced by either greater products or much the same with a new designation.
12-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #102

If you look at the K-x the K-r was released "before" the K-x was finished. So you could actually buy both and the K-x remained on sale for a while after the K-r was released.
This is why some are scracthing their heads a bit it's normal for makers to release a new model before the older one is finished. K-r stocks are quite low/out of stock at a lot of places anyway so if you wait 2 months (for example) and you get a "can buy" new K-r model it will likely be a while before stocks hit the shelf.

Meaning no real model for buyers to pick in this price range. If you don't have a product in the shops folks can't buy it. Looks like Ricoh messed up on this one
12-24-2011, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #103

It's called a natural disaster and company changeover. No one messed up, you just seem to understand very little about how big business can work and the problems that can arise.
12-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #104

Quite the reverse I understand completely how business works it's as I said if you don't have a product for sale people can't buy it, that is pretty simple to grasp for most people. Nikon seems to have had a lot of problems due to natural disaters yet was able to resume production of it's DSLR's and didn't discontinue any either. If production problems were that bad the K-5 would be out of stock as well which it does not appear to be.
12-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #105

Product development is a very difficult process compared to simply resuming production, and is not a realistic indicator (quite a poor one actually). Couple that with a change of hands for Pentax, and I don't understand how you are surprised by a lack of new models.

Last edited by crf529; 12-24-2011 at 07:46 PM.