Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
I can not figure why the K-5 is classified as a entry level DSLR
The Pentax K-5 is classified an entry level DSLR because it does not have a full frame sensor, it has a cropped sensor. The Nikon D7000, Canon T3i and Sony A580 are also classified as entry level DSLR's.

QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
When comparing cameras in the same category, I got some very useful information from your page with the at-glance list of specifications and advantages (thank you!). But when I noticed that some of your recommendations were not representative of the data that you presented on that page, I took a closer look at your scoring criteria and decided (in my opinion) it is very flawed. So, from that point on, I used your site to review specifications, but not your recommendations.
Our recommendations are only suggestion, it is up to the user to make the final decision and many people do buy cameras that are not recommended by us.

QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
I think one of the things which probably irks people is that one natural result of your scoring methodology is that it will usually give the nod to the 800 pound gorilla in the room; even when their product is not better. That's confusing, particularly for entry-level consumers trying to seriously evaluate different cameras and systems.
Our comparison section is only one part of our site, if you want to search our database without taking popularity into account than checkout our recommendation page and turn off Magic (top right corner).

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
T3i=72; Kr-61?

Something to consider for the criteria you use:

Total Scores Given:
T3i - 301.9
Kr - 253.1

The T3i sure seems to be a whole lot better than the Kr. But wait...

Without Popularity Category:
T3i - 251.9
Kr - 248.1

Now the cameras seem a little more comparable. But wait. This is a picture taking device...

Without Popularity & Movie Categories:
T3i - 176.9
Kr - 214.4

What happened there?

That is why it is a problem. These are supposed to review DSLR's right? I thought DSLR's were supposed to take pictures, not make friends for you. The movie category I can live with, but popularity?

The weight scale punishes and praises cameras because of marketing, not because of their quality.
People are not just buying DSLR for photos anymore, they are used to film everything from cute kids to Hollywood movies, so we can not just ignore that the video feature exists.

Last edited by Brenden; 11-26-2011 at 02:37 PM.
11-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Another metric with which I would quibble is High ISO. Sure, it's important to many, but why does it deserve twice the weight as color depth or dynamic range? The image quality scores on SnapSort come from DxOs tests, fine, but I'm not sure if DxO uses this weighting in determining their overall scores.

Me? My camera rarely goes above ISO 200, I prefer to use fast lenses, lighting, and a tripod and have squeaky clean images from the start rather than having to apply noise reduction in post production and lose detail in the process. If I had to give it my own weighting, ISO would receive half the importance of DR and Color, but that's me, a less subjective approach would be to make them all equal.
11-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Brenden, you still haven't answered any of us as to what value the number of times people have searched for a brand has in judging the quality of a DSLR. From comments by staff on snapsort.com, this is what the "popularity" criteria is based on. It's neither objective nor useful, and you guys have admitted to it skewing comparisons in favour of canikon models. You know it's an issue, you know that an awful lot of people dismiss your results based on it, why not fix it? And, by fix, I mean remove.
11-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brenden Quote
Our recommendations are only suggestion, it is up to the user to make the final decision and many people do buy cameras that are not recommended by us.

Our comparison section is only one part of our site, if you want to search our database without taking popularity into account than checkout our recommendation page and turn off Magic (top right corner).
Maybe I'm not using it right, but clicking and unclicking the magic button doesn't seem to change anything. You still get the same results.

People are not just buying DSLR for photos anymore, they are used to film everything from cute kids to Hollywood movies, so we can not just ignore that the video feature exists.
That sounds reasonable. I think most people have been ok with rating the video rating, I even stated I could live with that rating, but what about the popularity feature? That seems to be the main issue everyone is discussing but you didn't address it. Isn't it irresponsible to use something so subjective and to give it so much weight? Does popularity really affect camera quality? (I know everything is subjective, but that one is Mayor of Subjectiveville.) Using that type of rating system in the early 90's would have meant that the #1 rated camera back then might have been:

I know that sounds ridiculous, but the popularity category doesn't sound any more reasonable to me. From reading a lot of the comments on snapsort, it doesn't seem reasonable to them either.

Is there any reason snapsort hasn't addressed (and by addressed I mean fixed) this issue? If it comes down to money, I'll accept that. If that's how snapsort makes it's money, I have no problem with that, but that is something frequenters of your site should be aware of.

11-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you want to search our database without taking popularity into account than checkout our recommendation page and turn off Magic (top right corner).
Oh my, well . Yes, to be able to compare the the specifications and capabilities of two cameras head to head and have the the less capable, less specified camera come out as the clear winner, does clearly take a wee little bit of Magic.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist-
But thank you for responding. Next time I am visiting your site, I will turn off the Magic.
11-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #21

trust me.. i am in the same boat, well was in the same boat until i read the actual reviews and differences a little more. I am soooo happy that I chose my K-r over anything I was considering. The cons of the K-r over other cameras I was looking at didn't phase me. Especially the amount of available lenses (90). I don't think they're taking into consideration of the available lenses from the 35mm SLR's. Also, you will not find anywhere Canon or Nikon is mentioned that Pentax was the company who invented the 35mm SLR!
11-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onesikej8 Quote
Also, you will not find anywhere Canon or Nikon is mentioned that Pentax was the company who invented the 35mm SLR!
Because they didn't. Pentax was the first Japanese company to manufacture a SLR. SLR's were invented in Germany before WWII. Pentax did have some innovations, like the first quick return mirror and the first commercially available TTL metering.
11-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #23

yes yes youre right, i apologize, that is what i meant though, again im sorry