Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

Kr Macro Operating Mode

The only reference in the Kr Operating Manual concerning the Macro Picture Mode says: "Lets you take vibrant pictures of flowers and other small subjects at short distances."

I am familiar how Macro and Super Macro works in cameras with non-interchangeable lenses. There is also usually a table that shows the ranges for Macro and Super Macro shooting distances. But what does the Kr's Macro Picture Mode actually do? Is it intended to work only with certain lenses?

11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't played with any of the scene modes, but looking at the info provided on some others, it probably just tries to set a small aperture or something. You can't make a non-macro lens behave as one with a camera mode, but there are lots of ways you can get started with macro photography with very little investment. Here's an article on the forum about the various methods, which should help you quite a bit: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html
11-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

dSLRs and other interchangeable-lens cameras have exposure modes and image settings, but no macro modes. Macro just means "focusing real close" and that depends on the lens only, not the camera. There are many weird details about shooting macro, but they have nothing to do with camera modes. You can select Aperture-priority (Av mode) or Shutter-priority (Tv) or various other ways to deal with exposure. You can set Vibrant or Landscape or B&W or other settings that change how JPG images are produced. None of that has ANYTHING to do with close work.

Philoslothical already pointed you to my CHEAP MACRO article, which is about choosing and using lenses for macro shooting. Exactly how you use macro-capable lenses depends on what you want to do and what you're comfortable with. Some lens specifics make macro work easier, especially if you're using flash. But macro is mostly a lens thang, not a camera thang.
11-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If want to take real macros, you'll need a macro lens as others have suggested. I would recommend starting with a M 50mm F4 or something similar to it just to test the waters!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2011, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Opahujo Quote
But what does the Kr's Macro Picture Mode actually do? Is it intended to work only with certain lenses?
This is what the Macro mode does:
1. It selects the "Natural" picture style.
2. It selects the MTF program line.

And that's it.

I know from examining the EXIF data from a shot taken in macro mode with the K-x. I assume the
K-r is similar.

Most of the other scene modes like kids, beach, landscape etc. are also that simple. A few modes like
the sports mode and the night modes alter more settings.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
11-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
This is what the Macro mode does:
1. It selects the "Natural" picture style.
2. It selects the MTF program line.
While I appreciate every one's replies to my question, yours was the answer I was looking for. If I understand you correctly, this means that if I stick a Pentax macro lens (one with a chip) on the Kr and select the Macro mode, the camera's software will select the optimum settings for that lens.

Again, thanks all for your comments. You have a great forum here and it's one of the reasons I decided to go back to Pentax equipment.
11-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

...if I stick a Pentax macro lens (one with a chip) on the Kr and select the Macro mode, the camera's software will select the optimum settings for that lens.
Disclaimer: I've never used any of the "scene" modes. Most of the times, I use Av mode, with EC setting to control shadow- or highlight-bias. For more control, I use M mode.

The settings selected by the camera is a good start, but they may not be optimal.

The simple reason is that the camera has no way to know what I'm really after, how can it knows the optimal settings? I may want deep or shallow DOF, I may use manual flash that the camera knows nothing about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: learn how to set the camera depending on what you want, don't rely too much on the camera.
11-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I appreciate every one's replies to my question, yours was the answer I was looking for. If I understand you correctly, this means that if I stick a Pentax macro lens (one with a chip) on the Kr and select the Macro mode, the camera's software will select the optimum settings for that lens.

Again, thanks all for your comments. You have a great forum here and it's one of the reasons I decided to go back to Pentax equipment.
Vivid is not necessarily the optimum setting
MTF (probably) is for macro, but it will do that for any lens with a chip, not necessarily a macro lens. And if you want to use it for your railway layout, you might want deeper DOF or shallower DOF and probably worry less about MTF.