Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #1

Shooting in the Rain

It's the rainy season here in Oregon, and of course I don't want that to slow down my shooting. I've taken to cutting a hole in a plastic bag, taping it to the lens hood and pulling it back over the lens and camera body. It works pretty good, but it's awkward to shoot with, and obviously looks kind of weird.

So, being that the K-r isn't weather sealed, what methods/products/DIY projects do you all use to let you shoot in the rain without ruining your camera?

11-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UE25IY/
11-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most weather protection methods are variations of a plastic bag over your camera. You can get rain sleeves for your camera for short money.
11-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hands free umbrella

A (pants) belt around my chest makes a crude but effective umbrella harness.

Tim

edit: No joke - it really works. (As long as the wind isn't blowing.)

Last edited by .a.t.; 02-05-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: doubters
11-28-2011, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

My loyal lens-bearer Ansel kindly holds the bumbershoot over me, of course.

But when Ansel is off on one of his dratted holidays, I wear a rain jacket open enough that I can shove camera+lens down the front when not in use, and a wide-brim hat to shelter it during shooting. Or I stay under cover, not venturing out into the downpour like a suicidal turkey. Roll down the car window, shoot, roll it back up, no problem. Or at least stay under a dense tree.
11-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
A (pants) belt around my chest makes a crude but effective umbrella harness.

Tim

They make umbrella hats.

Amazon.com: Dark Blue Umbrella Hat Fishing Camping Headwear Cap: Home Improvement
11-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In cases where mobility can be sacrificed: I use a car suction DSLR mount arm. You know, with which you stick your camera agains a car window, making the car into a sturdy tripod. (Sit still though!) And of course, shooting through the glass won't work.

This is sufficient for me. Because the only photography I do in the rain is mostly landscapes, landparks, cityscapes or street photography. And with a little creativity those can mostly be done from my car's cozy environment.